Hello from Devon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sprinter

Hello,

I'm yet another new member. Not very fit yet and still getting my act together with a view to returning to cycling. Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, I was a keen cyclist and particularly during the 70's and 80's I was a club cyclist competing mainly in time trials and track events. I haven't been on a bike all that much since then.

These days I have health issues after a heart attack during 2005. I am 59 years of age and also a diabetic, who can suffer from Angina, so I need to be careful how I go about things. I bought myself a bike again about a year ago and soon found out just how unfit I have become. I've got a lot of work to do!

I've bought an old Exel team road bike, with an aluminium frame and reasonable spec equipment. There's nothing wrong with the bike, but the main problems are with me. I have blood circulation problems with my legs below the knees, which is a common diabetic issue. I am finding that the combination of the gear ratios on the bike and my current level of fitness in a problem in Devon, which is full of fairly testing hills.

My Angina is fairly well controlled by medication, which works by limiting the output of my heart and dilating my blood vessels to reduce the amount of effort required by heart to pump the blood around. Right now this medication is holding me back, but as I get fitter the doctor will reduce my medication to accommodate any improvements in my fitness. I think it's gonna be a long process, so watch this space!

I was racing in the days of people like Derek Cottington, Alf Engers and others of that era. I have been a member at different times of The Clarence Wheeler's (known for the likes of Tony Doyle, Alan Killick, Mick Gambrill, etc), The Feltham Road Club (in the days of Martin Roach and Bob Porter) and also the Redmon C.C. I used to compete in time trials (mostly 10's and 25's) and various track events (mostly at Herne Hill and Paddington). My racing days and my fitness are these days, long gone!

I wonder how many others will remember the era, which I remember and the names from that era.

My best wishes to all,
Mark

PeteT

Hi Mark - I'm a similar age to you and remember many of those names well (especially 'King' Alf Engers and the powerhouse Tony Doyle). I too raced in the past and returned to cycling only in January this year, but have luckily managed to up my fitness quite quickly after a 25 year break, and have completed various Sportives etc with my first Audax (Dartmoor Devil) coming up at the end of October.

It's been a slog - especially as I work long and unsocial hours at times - but it's been worth it to get out on the bike again. Where in Devon are you? (I'm near Newton Abbot).

All the best,

Pete.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Welcome to the best site on the web ,,, posts on here will make you smile , laugh , scowl and get angry (no not angry ,, its my inability to accept i am not the King of all ,my Therapist tells me hahaha)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've bought an old Exel team road bike, with an aluminium frame and reasonable spec equipment. There's nothing wrong with the bike, but the main problems are with me. I have blood circulation problems with my legs below the knees, which is a common diabetic issue. I am finding that the combination of the gear ratios on the bike and my current level of fitness in a problem in Devon, which is full of fairly testing hills.

My Angina is fairly well controlled by medication, which works by limiting the output of my heart and dilating my blood vessels to reduce the amount of effort required by heart to pump the blood around. Right now this medication is holding me back, but as I get fitter the doctor will reduce my medication to accommodate any improvements in my fitness. I think it's gonna be a long process, so watch this space!

Mark

Welcome Mark, old Devonian here, Exeter born and bred (now a resident of Oxfordshire).

I have a cardiac stent and am on Beta-blockers and a shedload of statins. I can agree with you, it's carp, but it's how it is. Cycling is one form of excercise I can do at a reasonable level. It takes time to build up fitness and an understanding of your own body's limitations, but with care you should be abe to reach a reasonable level - whether it's enough for you is another point!

Now 48 a tad overweight and stented 6 years ago, I'm good for running 18 to 20 mph on the flat and comfortable riding 200km at a go day or night. With the best will in the world I'll not get much faster, but I can go longer. I've had to stop 'sprints' and hard intervals. TT's are still possible and good fun. So there is a wealth of cycling to be had, Audax, Touring, club runs even Sportives if you accept that it's just for a nice day out.

My advice FWIW is get a good Heart Rate Monitor, warm-up very gradually, at least 15 mins gentle spinning from a slow start and the same at the end. Invest in gearing that suits your health and terrain, spin the granny gear on the steep bits. Be prepared to walk rather than risk exploding your heart.
As you get fitter you'll tune better to your body and ride accordingly.

Cycling's great as you already know, it's knowing how best to enjoy it that counts!

Top Bottom