Hello from Kent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SJCH

Hi all,
I've been commuting a 15 mile round trip 5 days a week for the past 16 months. However there is a hill which I still struggle up even now, so the saying "it will get easier in time" just doesn't cut it with me (although it is fun on the journey home). Someone suggested going for a longer ride at the weekends to build up stamina, not sure about that as I use the weekends as rest days.

For the first 3 months I slogged along on my old MTB until moving on to a road bike on the Cycle to Work scheme - wow what a difference, slicing 10 minutes off my journey with less effort (apart from the hill). Since commuting I've lost over 2 stone and still eat pretty much what I want, feel the fittest I've ever been and full of energy plus I'm saving over £100 a week on train fare - suddenly that hill sounds like a good trade-off.

Attached (hopefully) is an elevation graph showing my morning commute - measurements in miles and feet.
SJCH
elevation_graph.png

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
what's your route, can you avoid the hill?

I have a big hill on my commute too, they say about hills "it never gets easier, you just get quicker",

OP
OP
S

SJCH

My route starts in Tonbridge, passing through Hildenborough on the B245 London Road and on to RiverHill (the hill in question) before finishing in central Sevenoaks. Pretty much an incline for 3/4 of the journey, mind you, I'd rather do it in the morning than after work!

There's no avoiding the hill as its part of the North Downs/ Weald of Kent. Sevenoaks sits just over the top and Tonbridge lies in a valley this side of it. Riverhill is probably the easiest route as there are some real monsters if you're feeling brave!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Know the hill well and it's a complete and utter bugger doing it every now and then. For a commute? Not on your nelly. For those that don't know it, it's near 5 miles of climbing with 3 15% peaks,
Cracking return journey though.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Know the hill well and it's a complete and utter bugger doing it every now and then. For a commute? Not on your nelly. For those that don't know it, it's near 5 miles of climbing with 3 15% peaks,
Sounds fun. When can we build it into a ride?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Hello! (From Connecticut, but shortly of Kent). Might just be me, but I rather like having a bugg3r hill on the morning commute. After a month of dragging myself over Crystal Palace twice a day, I found my legs kind of wake up in 'are we on a hill yet?' mode. This proved to be very useful in later (longer) rides.

That hill isn't a touch on yours, but hopefully the deferred gratification is that much bigger :smile:

OP
OP
S

SJCH

I'm glad you said that - you've made me feel a lot better, I was worried people might say it's a mere slope.

With the winter commute just around the corner it can be "interesting" riding without street lights for half the journey, relying on my Chinese lights - which, to be fair, were more than adequate for the job.

OP
OP
S

SJCH

Hi all,
I've been commuting a 15 mile round trip 5 days a week for the past 16 months. However there is a hill which I still struggle up even now, so the saying "it will get easier in time" just doesn't cut it with me (although it is fun on the journey home). Someone suggested going for a longer ride at the weekends to build up stamina, not sure about that as I use the weekends as rest days.

For the first 3 months I slogged along on my old MTB until moving on to a road bike on the Cycle to Work scheme - wow what a difference, slicing 10 minutes off my journey with less effort (apart from the hill). Since commuting I've lost over 2 stone and still eat pretty much what I want, feel the fittest I've ever been and full of energy plus I'm saving over £100 a week on train fare - suddenly that hill sounds like a good trade-off.

Attached (hopefully) is an elevation graph showing my morning commute - measurements in miles and feet.
SJCH
elevation_graph.png
Sorry, I meant £100 a month on train fare

OP
OP
S

SJCH

Thanks Phill, I've actually been a silent observer of this forum for over a year (which is by far the best around). It's only because it's been quiet today at work that I thought I'd "break the ice" so to speak.

Well done to all involved.

boybiker

Guru
Working and living in Kent my whole life I know this hill well. I certainly would not be disappointed that your finding this hill hard I'm not sure I would be able to climb up it every day. Personally I would be happy if I made it up that beast everyday and would say its ALOT harder ride than my Maidstone to Tonbridge commute as it might be further but its basically all flat!

Top Bottom