Hello from Leeds!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheyron

Hello all,

My name is Darren and I'm seventeen in May. I've lived in Leeds all of my life but I've had family scattered in nearby towns too.

I'm looking to increase my fitness a lot compared to what I'm like now. I aim to join the police so I feel it's something I HAVE to do and I have a year or two to fix it. I hate to sound like I'm running before I can walk but I'd love to do some touring in that time. :smile:

I'm a rugby fan. Both league and union but especially the league side (Castleford fan :biggrin:). I also play guitar!

I'm generally looking to make friends but I'd also love some riding partners if possible? I'm hoping to explore more of Yorkshire at least but as I've said, touring looks amazing so I'd love some of that!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Darren - welcome to CycleChat.

There are quite a few CC members in Leeds that I've ridden with; all nice people. Perhaps some of them will spot this thread and volunteer to take you out and show you some of the surrounding countryside?

Maybe you could start by sending Calum a PM and seeing if he fancies riding with you. He's a student in his final year at Leeds so he might not be around too much longer but he's a nice lad and likes to get a few miles in when he isn't studying. He's nearer your age than most of the others on here.

Once you think you are ready to do 50 miles or so on the hills you'd be welcome to join us for some of the rides in this area. You can get over here with your bike in well under an hour on the train. It currently costs £5.50 return off-peak (which all my forum rides would be).

OP
OP
C

Cheyron

Hi Darren - welcome to CycleChat.

There are quite a few CC members in Leeds that I've ridden with; all nice people. Perhaps some of them will spot this thread and volunteer to take you out and show you some of the surrounding countryside?

Maybe you could start by sending Calum a PM and seeing if he fancies riding with you. He's a student in his final year at Leeds so he might not be around too much longer but he's a nice lad and likes to get a few miles in when he isn't studying. He's nearer your age than most of the others on here.

Once you think you are ready to do 50 miles or so on the hills you'd be welcome to join us for some of the rides in this area. You can get over here with your bike in well under an hour on the train. It currently costs £5.50 return off-peak (which all my forum rides would be).

Thanks Colin. :smile:

Could you refer me to some please? Or spread my name around? I'm looking for rides that will test me and my fitness so I will gain, but I'd also love some long, relaxed rides to get to know new, friendly people. :smile:

I'm definitely up for that. How do I contact you to arrange it? Would a maintain bike be good for it? Double suspension with 20 gears I think. What equipment would you consider I buy before I go on long treks with people? :smile:

Can you take bikes on buses/trains? Never done it so I have no clue where you store it. :S

Also. What's a good way to get fitter? Without just saying "Ride!" as I know that's the solution. However, I don't know where to start. :smile:

Thanks!

ColinJ

Could you refer me to some please? Or spread my name around? I'm looking for rides that will test me and my fitness so I will gain, but I'd also love some long, relaxed rides to get to know new, friendly people. :smile:
I've sent a message to Calum so he might get in touch with you later. You need to keep an eye on your Personal Messages or PMs to see if anybody is trying to contact you.

If you are looking for relaxed rides and friendly people, then heading out east towards York way might be your best bet. As you head west from Leeds to here it is very hilly. The only easy roads are the busy main roads so they aren't very relaxing!

I've met some of the York CycleChat riders. I'm sure that they'd be happy to take you along with them on some of their rides. You'd need to catch the train to York unless someone from Leeds could give you a lift.

It might be an idea to check out some of the cycling clubs in Leeds. In most big cities there are a few clubs. Some will be hard core racing clubs, but others more relaxed. Ask around at bike shops in the city, they should be able to give you information.

I'm definitely up for that. How do I contact you to arrange it? Would a maintain bike be good for it? Double suspension with 20 gears I think. What equipment would you consider I buy before I go on long treks with people? :smile:
To be honest Darren, it might take you about a year to build up to the sort of rides we are doing. I'm assuming that you haven't done many long rides yet? There's no rush. If you build up your distance through to the summer, perhaps you'd be able to come along and enjoy yourself. It's good to push your boundaries, but only so far in one go. You don't want to find yourself 20 miles from the station and unable to pedal another mile!

MTBs (mountain bikes) are not great for doing long rides on roads. You can do them, but they will be much harder than if you were on a road bike. If you could afford to get a road bike, that's what I'd do. If you were buying new, I'd spend at least £300 because that is the kind of price where you start to get reasonable quality parts.

If you can't spend much, I would consider getting a used road bike. If you do that - make sure you don't buy one which is stolen (ask for proof of purchase). Also make sure that it isn't a heap of junk. You could put an ad in the wanted section on CycleChat. Lots of us have old bikes which we don't ride any more. I gave mine to a guy from Leeds in exchange for him buying me lunch! You might get lucky and pick up a bargain.

If money is extremely tight, then you will have to stick with your MTB but you should at least replace the knobbly tyres with 'slicks' (tyres with no tread). They roll a lot better than knobblies do so they will be much better to ride on the road. Something like these.

Can you take bikes on buses/trains? Never done it so I have no clue where you store it. :S
Forget buses - there are very few that will let you take a non-folding bike onboard. MTBs or standard road bikes - no!

Most trains will allow bikes onboard. All the big mainline trains need a reservation and they have limited spaces so so you should book your ticket in advance (you can often save money if you book a few weeks in advance). The small 'sprinter' type trains that run between Leeds and Hebden Bridge do not require a reservation, you just hop on board with your bike. There is usually a small bike compartment on both types of train. Look out for the bike symbol by the doors on the carriage which has that compartment.

Also. What's a good way to get fitter? Without just saying "Ride!" as I know that's the solution. However, I don't know where to start. :smile:
Well, riding obviously is the answer! The best way is to do plenty of shorter rides rather than one long ride every now and then. Long rides are good too. If 10 miles is ok for you but 20 miles is hard, try and do a few 10 mile rides during the week and a 20 at the weekend. Those are just numbers that I made up - if 10 miles & 20 are too much, do 5 & 10. If 10 & 20 are too easy, try 15 & 30, or 20 & 40. Just build up steadily. If you find yourself tired before a ride, perhaps you need a rest. Take the day off the bike and let your legs recover.

Having company helps. Sometimes, the weather isn't great and you can't be bothered to go out by yourself. Have you got any mates with bikes that you could ride with?

Having somewhere interesting to go also helps. Check out the online cycle route websites. There are quite a few of them. They will let you search for routes around Leeds. I use Bikely.

OP
OP
C

Cheyron

I've sent a message to Calum so he might get in touch with you later. You need to keep an eye on your Personal Messages or PMs to see if anybody is trying to contact you.

If you are looking for relaxed rides and friendly people, then heading out east towards York way might be your best bet. As you head west from Leeds to here it is very hilly. The only easy roads are the busy main roads so they aren't very relaxing!

I've met some of the York CycleChat riders. I'm sure that they'd be happy to take you along with them on some of their rides. You'd need to catch the train to York unless someone from Leeds could give you a lift.

It might be an idea to check out some of the cycling clubs in Leeds. In most big cities there are a few clubs. Some will be hard core racing clubs, but others more relaxed. Ask around at bike shops in the city, they should be able to give you information.

To be honest Darren, it might take you about a year to build up to the sort of rides we are doing. I'm assuming that you haven't done many long rides yet? There's no rush. If you build up your distance through to the summer, perhaps you'd be able to come along and enjoy yourself. It's good to push your boundaries, but only so far in one go. You don't want to find yourself 20 miles from the station and unable to pedal another mile!

MTBs (mountain bikes) are not great for doing long rides on roads. You can do them, but they will be much harder than if you were on a road bike. If you could afford to get a road bike, that's what I'd do. If you were buying new, I'd spend at least £300 because that is the kind of price where you start to get reasonable quality parts.

If you can't spend much, I would consider getting a used road bike. If you do that - make sure you don't buy one which is stolen (ask for proof of purchase). Also make sure that it isn't a heap of junk. You could put an ad in the wanted section on CycleChat. Lots of us have old bikes which we don't ride any more. I gave mine to a guy from Leeds in exchange for him buying me lunch! You might get lucky and pick up a bargain.

If money is extremely tight, then you will have to stick with your MTB but you should at least replace the knobbly tyres with 'slicks' (tyres with no tread). They roll a lot better than knobblies do so they will be much better to ride on the road. Something like these.

Forget buses - there are very few that will let you take a non-folding bike onboard. MTBs or standard road bikes - no!

Most trains will allow bikes onboard. All the big mainline trains need a reservation and they have limited spaces so so you should book your ticket in advance (you can often save money if you book a few weeks in advance). The small 'sprinter' type trains that run between Leeds and Hebden Bridge do not require a reservation, you just hop on board with your bike. There is usually a small bike compartment on both types of train. Look out for the bike symbol by the doors on the carriage which has that compartment.

Well, riding obviously is the answer! The best way is to do plenty of shorter rides rather than one long ride every now and then. Long rides are good too. If 10 miles is ok for you but 20 miles is hard, try and do a few 10 mile rides during the week and a 20 at the weekend. Those are just numbers that I made up - if 10 miles & 20 are too much, do 5 & 10. If 10 & 20 are too easy, try 15 & 30, or 20 & 40. Just build up steadily. If you find yourself tired before a ride, perhaps you need a rest. Take the day off the bike and let your legs recover.

Having company helps. Sometimes, the weather isn't great and you can't be bothered to go out by yourself. Have you got any mates with bikes that you could ride with?

Having somewhere interesting to go also helps. Check out the online cycle route websites. There are quite a few of them. They will let you search for routes around Leeds. I use Bikely.
Thanks for this long message! It was very informative and I really appreciate it. Yes, Calum has contacted me and I'm hoping he'll let me ride with him for a while. Some other lad on another website contacted me as he's looking to do university up here september so that should be good then. :smile:

I'm thinking about that too. On a group I got shown to who ride in the Moors have said their closest rider is in York. While I don't think I'm ready for that, it seems there's a lot more potential to find matches for biking.

Believe it or not Leeds doesn't have too many cycling clubs. They have 2 main ones and one of those is on the edge of Leeds which seems a bit of a mess to get to. I've emailed the other.

I understand. I don't mind waiting at all, I'm just the type of person who hates the same scenery and wants to get out there and explore considering how amazing the Yorkshire landscape is, haha. Hopefully I will be able to join you sometime in the future.

I was thinking that exact thing myself as I also want to get around to touring sometime. That said, I'm thinking of changing some of the parts especially with my bike being fairly new.

Money is quite right so I don't think I can buy a new bike. I'm going to look to change the parts on this one as stated. However, when I look at the tyres on them, they are extremely pricey. Yikes.

Thanks for the info on buses and trains, too. I'll be having to plan ahead on journeys it seems.

I'm going to look for people to ride with and hopefully my search will pay off. I'm just a little lost at the moment, haha.

ColinJ

Money is quite right so I don't think I can buy a new bike. I'm going to look to change the parts on this one as stated. However, when I look at the tyres on them, they are extremely pricey. Yikes.
I thought that £18 ish including postage for the pair of tyres I linked to on Amazon was very good value - some people spend £50+ on one tyre! Still, if you haven't got the money, then I suppose it seems a lot.

OP
OP
C

Cheyron

I thought that £18 ish including postage for the pair of tyres I linked to on Amazon was very good value - some people spend £50+ on one tyre! Still, if you haven't got the money, then I suppose it seems a lot.
I was talking about other websites. :smile:
The tyres you showed me look excellent. I'll look into grabbing myself a pair! :smile:

OP
OP
C

Cheyron

Better get a move on - there were 7 pairs left when I first looked, now there are only 4! ;)

Probably won't end up getting any, haha.

ColinJ

I'm interested. Besides wheels/tires, what other parts should I change?
I don't want to sound harsh, but if you are going to be doing all your riding on the road then I'd seriously consider selling the mountain bike and putting the money towards a road bike (new or used). Suspension is unnecessary weight on the road and it absorbs your energy, but to take it off your MTB isn't really a cost-effective thing to do.

If you work out the cost of new bits and the cost of paying someone to change them over (unless you do it yourself) then I don't really think the upgrade path is worth going down.

Either make do with just changing the tyres for now or change the whole bike, that's my advice! If you try and keep the bike and upgrade it, you could spend a lot of money and still not end up with something as quick and light as a road bike that you could have bought for the same money.

OP
OP
C

Cheyron

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you are going to be doing all your riding on the road then I'd seriously consider selling the mountain bike and putting the money towards a road bike (new or used). Suspension is unnecessary weight on the road and it absorbs your energy, but to take it off your MTB isn't really a cost-effective thing to do.

If you work out the cost of new bits and the cost of paying someone to change them over (unless you do it yourself) then I don't really think the upgrade path is worth going down.

Either make do with just changing the tyres for now or change the whole bike, that's my advice! If you try and keep the bike and upgrade it, you could spend a lot of money and still not end up with something as quick and light as a road bike that you could have bought for the same money.
Didn't sound harsh at all - I appreciate being put straight with stuff. :smile:

I'll do that. Use my MTB for the time being and when I have the money, get a road bike.

I'll keep suspension but change the tyres. :smile:

Thanks. :biggrin:

colly

Re member eR
Hi Cheyron,

There are a few from Leeds here but most of them, like me, are 40 odd years older than you. Calum is closer to your age though being at uni in Leeds.
It's good advice from Colin about getting a road bike too when you can afford it.

Which part of Leeds are you in? If you can get out of the city to the north and east there is some great riding to be had, and if you pick the right roads, not much traffic either.

Next time I get on to one of Colin's rides out of Hebden Bridge I'll give you a shout. I usually drive over and have room in the van for two others.

Top Bottom