Hello from Manchester: I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone,

I started city cycling when I moved to Manchester in September and would love to hear your thoughts for an article I'm writing. I should probably add that I'm a traineed journalist!

I've seen quite a few accidents between cyclists and motorists - buses and lorries in particular and have had a few near misses myself. I was wondering what you thought about road safety for cyclists in Manchester. I have to cycle up Oxford Road every day and share bus lanes with some pretty inconsiderate bus drivers but I'm never sure whether the drivers are to blame or the lack of cycle lanes. What do you guys think?
For example
- Do you think the roads in Manchester are suitable for cyclists and motorists?
- Do you think Manchester City Council does enough to enccourage people to cycle?
- Do we need more cycle lanes?
- Are accidents just part of the risk of city cycling or could more be done to prevent tragic accidents?
- Have you had any accidents or near misses?

Let me know what you think,

Best,

Charlotte

OP
OP
C

Charlotte Dobson

Sorry, I meant *trainee journalist*

colly

Re member eR
Hi everyone,
I started city cycling when I moved to Manchester in September and would love to hear your thoughts for an article I'm writing. I should probably add that I'm a traineed journalist!

I've seen quite a few accidents between cyclists and motorists - buses and lorries in particular and have had a few near misses myself. I was wondering what you thought about road safety for cyclists in Manchester. I have to cycle up Oxford Road every day and share bus lanes with some pretty inconsiderate bus drivers but I'm never sure whether the drivers are to blame or the lack of cycle lanes. What do you guys think?
For example
- Do you think Manchester City Council does enough to enccourage people to cycle?
- Are accidents just part of the risk of city cycling or could more be done to prevent tragic accidents?

Best,

Charlotte

I'm not in Manchester but I should think the answers would apply equally to any large city.

Roads are intended for 'traffic'. That includes buses, lorries, cars, and bicycles.

I don't know about Manchester council but Leeds doesn't seem to do a great deal.

Cycle lanes? Some are useful but of those that exist are usually poorly designed, poorly maintained, litter strewn and going nowhere.

Accidents should never been seen as 'part of the risk' but they are sadly a fact of life.
What could be done to minimise risks? Roads and junctions should be designed with 'all' road users in mind not just motorised traffic. Much more than that it is education and a far greater degree of understanding and courtesy on all sides.

I have had a few near misses and been knocked off a couple of times.

nwjgoode

ive been knocked of my bike twice in manchester both years ago now.. i personally wouldnt use a bike in any big city now

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
You don't have to be in the city to get launched,my hit and run was in a side street near where i live.I would love to have a system of cycle lanes like the Dutch or Germans but i feel we will never see it due to our country being too tight for space.Motorists attitudes would be a big thing that would improve life on two wheels but again some a so single minded that they are top dog and we are the dirt on the heel of their shoe that again i feel will never change.
Good luck with it and feel free to ask away,we all have a good story !

Tarmac cruncher

Hi everyone,

For example

Best,

Charlotte
Not sure if my reply is exactly what your looking for as i dont ride in Manchester. However.."everytime" i ride out on my bike i have a near miss. I personally think some drivers drive so close deliberatley to give you a fright. Its hair raising how close some tend to get to you almost brushing your arm. About 10 years ago a moto cycle rider road so close to me that his foot peg hit me in the back of my leg and took me stright off my bike and he didnt even slow down or stop.! I think the younger generation of drivers do it out of fun. Recently I was riding down an A road in the lake district and a large blue cattle wagon came so close the draft of it knocked me off balance and i was so close to going under the back wheels of it. Its very scary but i tend to switch off the thoght of the danger coming from behind..how else will i get anywhere on my bike, I usually ride alone aswell. Iv even though of putting a small camare on the back of my bike to try bring some of these sensless drivers to justice, its not on and harsh punnishment should be brought to these drivers.
Regards Martin.

OP
OP
C

Charlotte Dobson

Thanks for your replies guys. I tend to agree with all of you. I love cycling as a way of getting around but I have been put off by a lack of consideration from drivers. Some of the bus drivers seem to deliberately cut up cyclists, whether it's because they resent us sharing the bus lanes I'm not sure. We definitely need more consistency in the city's cycle lanes.

Thanks again,

Charlotte

Top Bottom