Hello from Sunny Kent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

After badgering folk for advice on here over the last couple of months, realised I had never introduced myself. I'm 40, live in Kent and, whilst have always enjoyed the odd spin on my old MTB, decided to get a new road bike and do some more cycling to add variation to going to running and the gym. I got myself an Allez 24 last November through the C2W scheme and so far am really enjoying it. Would like to increase my distances when the weather gets a bit better but at the moment it's the odd short spin to the train station in the week and then 20 miles if I get the chance at a weekend. Time is my main constraint with a daily commute up to London, young family etc. but will get out for some early morning spins come summer when the days are long and warm:becool: Thanks for the advice so far - I've found the forum really helpful.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Howdy Willo.

I'm an ex-Kent person (made the voyage across the border to Essex a year and a half ago) but used to be in Tonbridge.

There are loads of Bromley-based people on here and regular rides with the Bromley Cyclists group. Whereabouts in Kent are you?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Ah, did a couple of rides with the Bromley Cyclists from Pluckley last autumn. You should keep an eye out in the CC Informal Rides section of this forum where Ianrauk lists them.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Howdo from Bromley :becool:

If your regular commute into town affords you a season ticket, you're more than welcome to join the regular Sunday morning pootle from Bromley South. Trains from Ashford Int'l at 02 and 32, taking an hour. We do a 35 - 40 mile road loop, taking in the sights, former residences, and the odd petrol station. Rolling average around 14mph.

Or (as Auntie Helen says) keep an eye out for Ianrauk. He brings massed groups your way from time to time. Slightly more leisurely pace, but similar distances.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hello Willo and a belated welcome to the forum.
As Auntie Helen said previously. The Bromley and Lewisham cyclists organise weekly rides in deepest darkest Kent. Usually along the Tonbridge/Ashford train corridor. It's a bit quiet at the moment for rides but they will be starting up again soon. So please feel free to check the links in my sig. Lewisham site mainly, as the Bromley rides are for the more inexperienced cyclists. And as per Arallsopp's post, for a quicker ride out (14-15mph avg) pop yourself and your bike on to a train and meet us at Bromley Station for a ride into London and back. You can then get to meet a few other Cycle Chat forumites.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
(Ian, don't forget Tollers and Mista Preston actually ride at a scale speed of 20mph+. If they were full size, they'd be whipping along.)

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Many thanks all. Will keep an eye out for rides ianrauk. Agree Panter, lots of nice routes locally - I need to get exploring.

Bearonabike

Hi

Willo said:
After badgering folk for advice on here over the last couple of months, realised I had never introduced myself. I'm 40, live in Kent and, whilst have always enjoyed the odd spin on my old MTB, decided to get a new road bike and do some more cycling to add variation to going to running and the gym. I got myself an Allez 24 last November through the C2W scheme and so far am really enjoying it. Would like to increase my distances when the weather gets a bit better but at the moment it's the odd short spin to the train station in the week and then 20 miles if I get the chance at a weekend. Time is my main constraint with a daily commute up to London, young family etc. but will get out for some early morning spins come summer when the days are long and warm:becool: Thanks for the advice so far - I've found the forum really helpful.

I live in kent too and am in the same situation as you, old MTB and decided to go for a road bike, mainly for fitness and charity rides. I am Tunbridge Wells and like you you bought the Spesh Allez, went for the 18, make me work harder on the hills, but at 44 this is not that easy....

LynnA

Hi,

I live in Canterbury and the local bike shop - Downland Cycles - have ride outs every Saturday morning (start 9.30am) - you would be very welcome to come along - it's usually around 3 hours.

Top Bottom