Hello - just a few words

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ProudSalopian

So, here we go……When I first learnt to ride a bike back in the dim distant past (probably around 1957 I think) it seemed the most natural thing in the world. I wasn’t even put off by visiting nettle patches and chain link fencing at regular intervals.
Dad used to commute 2 miles or so to work every day at 6 in the morning on a very old Raleigh with rod brakes, dynamo lights and 3 sturmey archer gears – I inherited it and he picked up another cast me down that was a bit lighter but of similar vintage. For my formative years that bike transported me (and my fishing gear) around my area of Shropshire and then I grew up……..
A brief flirtation with a ten geared racer in the mid 70s was doomed to failure. Mortgage, babies and Wolves took precedence.
Children grow and then they want bikes.
I too wanted a bike, so wife and I had matching Raleigh hybrids (how twee) with 21 (count ‘em all) gears! Plenty of local family rides followed but nothing long distance or too strenuous.
Then came one of life’s lessons.
A nice bonus payment led to upgrades and whilst my chosen option was fine (and still is) my wife’s didn’t suit at all. The decision was probably made in haste and the service from the supplier was not what it could have been – especially compared with the excellent Bicycle Hub in Jackfield – a ‘bikefit’ is an absolute necessity.
The female hybrid was sold and replaced with an excellent Apollo MTB from you know where. Sterling service has been done ever since.
We live a ‘split life’ during summer – weekdays in Shropshire (commuting), weekends and holidays in Tywyn (touring around the area after ditching the car).
So we have become a 5 bike family since two of them live in Wales.
Not too boring I hope!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Hello.

OP
OP
ProudSalopian

ProudSalopian

Thanks for the thoughts Gerry.
Lots to be proud of round here - mind you the metal boxes behave just as badly here as anywhere else. Wish it could be a little more like my playground in Gywnedd - they seem to respect two wheels there.........

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hello™ User3143
And welcome to the site...

Top Bottom