Hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thecyclenovice

Hello i'm Mick and this will be my first post here. Found this site while trying to get reviews on a couple of bikes that i'm considering purchasing through my company's cycle to work scheme. I have a budget of £500 tops and would welcome any suggestions. With the scheme I seem to be stuck with Halfords who seem to do a limited range of bikes but i'm sure i'll find one for my needs. Recently started biking to work after trashing my car a month ago or so. Currently using my bike mountain bike which I got free with a Land Rover which I bought 10 years ago or so. It had been in garden shed for around 4-5 years and both wheels seem to be buckled. I have slackened the V-style brakes right off, rendering them virtually useless and the cable keeps slipping out the hand brakes 1 in 10 times of braking. If I tighten them up then they rub heavily on rims and riding it is ridiculous.

Anyway, my trip to work is between 15-35 max depending on what route I take. The shortest route which I have been using to ride home in the afternoon only takes 15 minutes and consists of little road, a bit of nicely laid tarmac path, a horendous 1/4 mile dirt track full of stones, holes, 1/2 foot deep muddy puddles and a hump back bridge! Followed buy a road through an industrial estate where some parts are full of smashed glass where some yobs at night obviously congregate.

The route I take in the morning usually is about 20-25 mins and is mostly pathways as no-one is about 5:30am and a short trip by a newly laid path next to a canal. This route though is 70% no lighting but a co-worker of mine rides in with me so we feel a bit safer to this route together in morning in darker light. The first route is 90% no lighting and a bit notorious for muggins and assaults etc, so defo no no in early morning.

The other route in the morning about 30-35 min is all road mostly, main town roads. I could ride 90% on path but not in afternoon as is quite pedestrian heavy. Good street lighting though and is the way I have ridden only twice since had no car and was on own in Morning.

I am not too confident on road at minute hence why I take the mud soaking dirt track route home, though touch wood still haven't had punture yet with all that glass. It's a short journey too :tongue:

Been looking at VooDoo hybrids and a Boardman but haven't got a clue really.

ACS

Legendary Member
:welcome::bicycle:

OP
OP
T

thecyclenovice

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I read somewhere else today, I think on my work forum actually that Halfords could possibly source other bikes. But as my previous bike was a freebie and at school a diamond back and raleigh were the big names of which I never had, I know nothing about bikes. For example I just done a google search for bikes and it seems that a hybrid bike could be best for the routes that I will mainly be taking. I took a look at Giant and Raleigh. The Giant bikes were well over my budget, but there was one raleigh one which was about £380 but didn't the same things as the Voodoo ones which are on halfords website. For example the Voodoo one has hydraulic disc brakes where the raleigh one has cable disc brakes. I take it hydrulic is more advanced, but would I need this. One of the Voodoo has lock out front suspension which I take would be better for when on the road etc. I don't really understand the gear ratios or tyre size?

I really would never consider spending more than a £100-£120 on a bike but as it is set to cost me £3.70 a week net and the fact I have no car to fork out for at the momment it seems like a good idea to get something a little better considering i'm going to be using it 5 days a week.

rusky

CC Addict
I wouldn't bother with suspension unless you are going to do a lot of off-road riding on dirt tracks, the extra weight will slow you down on the road.

When I started riding to work, I got a Marin Muirwoods 29er. It has semi slick tyres & cable disc brakes. The disc brakes are overkill really & the bike is quite heavy as it's steel rather than alu.

Raleigh aren't what they used to be either!

fyfeg

MICK, I can guarantee you will read review after review, will spend weeks researching and 12 months into your cycling "career" you're going to change whichever bike you bought anyway!!!! I'm not being condacending but I've seen it a million times ( I did it aswell!!) I think the important thing is to grab the bull by the horns and just go for it. Personally I think you should get a recognised make like trek , giant ,cannondale etc so you will get a decent price for it when you sell it . If you opt for a carrerra or apollo (halfords own makes) it will be almost worthless if you want to sell it on. Halfords will order in pretty much any make on the cycle to work scheme. I commute on a 2009 trek 1.2 road bike with 28mm puncture proof tyres and black plastic SKS mudguards, it's comfy with the larger tyres and keeps the backside dry as well , RESULT !! I use it on the road , cycle traks , canal towpaths and occassionally on muddy paths. It will also take a rear rack if you need it . PERFECT !! Mick go for it buddy you wont regret it. I know it's all confusing now but this time in 12 months you'll be a pro with buns of steel and life will be good , Men will want to be you ,and women will want to be with you !!!:laugh: Sorry to end on a moan but if you venture on the road , PLEASE assume 50% of drivers are blind, 60% are thick,and about 70% are out to kill you!! ENJOY!!!

jugglingphil

welcome, buying a new bike is enjoyable
I'm sure if you have any questions the members here will offer their opinion and expertise.

If your looking to commute all year round then mud-guards help (note to self to get some). By the sound of your journey a hybrid or cyclo-cross bike sound ideal.

I'd say the most important thing about buying a bike is that you love it.

Top Bottom