Helmet advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davos87

Guru
Fancy buying a Spuik Nexion road helmet. It gets good reviews for safety, comfort etc, looks smart, is very light and a reasonable price given my budget. Lot of the advice on here refers to going in a shop and trying them on however I don't have an outlet that sells this particular brand within a reasonable distance of travel.
If as others and websites suggest I measure my head and order the appropriate size will this suffice? Have others just bought online without trying on and been happy with purchase??? I know I can always return it??

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends where you buy from. Wiggle take helmet returns, just be very careful removing from the packaging, similarly CRC. If you buy from a site without free returns, it'll cost at least a fiver to return due to the size of the package

Measurement will tell you what size to get but it won't tell you if it's the right shape for your head, be comfortable, nor whether it will suit you generally

Personally, I've never bought a helmet online that was right...at least without trying on beforehand

Citius

I bought a Nexion online in the way you are describing. Measure head - order appropriate size. Helmet arrived - fits great.

Fancy buying a Spuik Nexion road helmet. It gets good reviews for safety, comfort etc, looks smart, is very light and a reasonable price given my budget. Lot of the advice on here refers to going in a shop and trying them on however I don't have an outlet that sells this particular brand within a reasonable distance of travel.
If as others and websites suggest I measure my head and order the appropriate size will this suffice? Have others just bought online without trying on and been happy with purchase??? I know I can always return it??

The problem is not actual sizing,but the shape.

Helmets tend to be roughly oval, but that can be a narrow long oval or a short wide one.

If you have a wide head the latter would fit, but the former could be tight and uncomfortable

The manufacturer's solution is the "one size fits all"

This however has its issues.

There is now an air gap between skull and helmet with no function whatsoever. The helmet is mobile and will move before any benefit is actually allowing the skull to accelerate and increase the energy the helmet has to absorb

However as with many of the other compromises that they have been allowed to get away with this is just another one swept under the carpet

One paper from the US showed that when looking at the fit of kids helmets then a gap of one inch between skull and helmet doubled the incidence ofhead injury!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Order one from Wiggle. My LBS used to sell Spuik, but when I wanted to replace my old Nexion they'd stopped stocking them. Nothing fitted in the shop. Made the mistake of ordering a new Nexion from a supplier that didn't do free returns thinking it would fit. Unfortunately it didn't - the shape had changed with the new version. Cost a fortune to send back. Tried various brands - including from Wiggle and CRC, and returned them FOC. Finally bought a Specialized Echelon from another LBS - fit is very similar to my original Nexion. Fit of a helmet is all important.

gavintc

Guru
Helmets are strange- bit like heads. There is not a standard head. I tried on lots of helmets before finding one I liked. And don't presume that because you fit one helmet that the rest of the company's helmets will be similar. Get yourself into a shop.

Citius

All of my last 7-8 or so helmets have been bought online without being tried on first. They've all fitted great.

Top Bottom