Helmet Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vennink

Hello all,

For an article in a Dutch newspaper, I would very much like to talk to someone commuting with a helmet camera in London. Those who would like to talk to me, please send me an e-mail at tomvennink@gmail.com. Thank you very much.

Tom

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Dam..... If only I was in London.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I may suggest to those in London that they are very cautious when involving themselves in this type of publicity. Members of our own forum have had to suffer at the hands of editors in a pretty unfair way, recently.

That's mostly because they were part of the general anti-cyclist sickness in UK society. I think you'd probably be pretty OK with a Dutch journalist.

deadpool7

I see a lot of you use helmet cameras. They don't seem popular in the US and I hadn't heard of them until joining these forums. Is there a reason they are so popular in Europe? What is the primary reason for owning one?

jarlrmai

Veteran
1. Evidence in case of a collision avoiding ending up in your word versus their word situation, capturing numberplates and car/driver details when you need to (speaking it and having visible evidence on the camera versus having to remember it during a stressful situation.) Not to mention that other car drivers that act as witnesses may side with the driver as they do not understand rules as they apply to cyclists.

2. Watching videos back of situations where you felt you could have cycled better, learning what to do etc, how to ride better

3. Sending examples of bad driving to the police, or companies involved to ensure dangerous driving is dealt with, this seems to have some success and sometimes none, its pretty hit and miss so to speak. Dangrous driving affects everyone on the road, but cyclists are particualry vulnerable to it so often feel the need to try and do something about it.

4. Showing other people the utter madness that sometimes is riding on the roads of Britain, some people do not believe what happens.

deadpool7

Thanks! Well, after seeing a post of another user's cam showing someone trying to kick his bike, I can believe it. Seems ridiculous!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I see a lot of you use helmet cameras. They don't seem popular in the US and I hadn't heard of them until joining these forums. Is there a reason they are so popular in Europe? What is the primary reason for owning one?
I used to use my go pro as a flight recorder...just in case.

Thing is though, it only ended up acting as a reminder of issues that I otherwise would just let go.

You see a fair bit of this in evidence on these pages, lots of "what do you guys think of this?" type of posts, where the footage appears relatively innocent but somehow helps to frustrate the rider by virtue of its existence.

Without footage we are sometimes happier to put it down to experience and just move on.

That said i originally invested in a cam after my one and only nasty scrape (in about 4 years) as i was so enraged at not having evidence that would almost certainly have put the perpetrator in the dock.

London is not designed...practically nor socially, to fully accept the bicycle as it is in other parts of the world and head cam footage has had a massive impact on the consciousness of the masses, which I cannot deny

But i wouldnt want to ride anywhere else, i love the experience of cycling in London...warts an all

Davidsw8

I used to use my go pro as a flight recorder...just in case.

Thing is though, it only ended up acting as a reminder of issues that I otherwise would just let go.

You see a fair bit of this in evidence on these pages, lots of "what do you guys think of this?" type of posts, where the footage appears relatively innocent but somehow helps to frustrate the rider by virtue of its existence.

Without footage we are sometimes happier to put it down to experience and just move on.

That said i originally invested in a cam after my one and only nasty scrape (in about 4 years) as i was so enraged at not having evidence that would almost certainly have put the perpetrator in the dock.

London is not designed...practically nor socially, to fully accept the bicycle as it is in other parts of the world and head cam footage has had a massive impact on the consciousness of the masses, which I cannot deny

But i wouldnt want to ride anywhere else, i love the experience of cycling in London...warts an all

I tend to agree with you, when I've downloaded incidents on to my pc and not Roadsafed it there and then, I've left it for a day or two then just deleted it.

However, having a cam has been invaluable in that when I was hit by a car before Christmas, there's no way this would be going to court if I hadn't had video evidence.

Recycle

Über Member
1. Evidence in case of a collision avoiding ending up in your word versus their word situation, capturing numberplates and car/driver details when you need to (speaking it and having visible evidence on the camera versus having to remember it during a stressful situation.) Not to mention that other car drivers that act as witnesses may side with the driver as they do not understand rules as they apply to cyclists.

2. Watching videos back of situations where you felt you could have cycled better, learning what to do etc, how to ride better

3. Sending examples of bad driving to the police, or companies involved to ensure dangerous driving is dealt with, this seems to have some success and sometimes none, its pretty hit and miss so to speak. Dangrous driving affects everyone on the road, but cyclists are particualry vulnerable to it so often feel the need to try and do something about it.

4. Showing other people the utter madness that sometimes is riding on the roads of Britain, some people do not believe what happens.
You missed
5. Lure out the trolls on YouTube.

Top Bottom