Helmet Cams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue_icicle

I am thinking of getting a helmet cam, not just for commuting - though that would be its main use - but also just for recording some of my 'recreational' cycling.

There seems to be a reasonable range of cameras out there in internet land, the cheapest being £22 and several hundred pounds for the top of the range.

Are the bottom end cameras really bothering with? - I'm not really looking for super quality but obviously would like the results to be watchable.

does anyone out there in CC land have any experience of these cheap helmet cams?

any advice gratefully received.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've used the muvi which is around £50. And a few of the £20 range cameras are clones of it.
It's an OK camera but my preference is to use something more expensive.
Why?
  • Better mounting options / easier to mount
  • removable battery
  • easier UI (i.e. big buttons, not complicated to use)
  • water proof / resistant
  • accessories
My personal preference has been Vholdr ContourHD for those very reasons and many of the more expensive cameras have those features.
Take a look at the Gopro, drift innovation and contourHD cameras.

Another thing that HD / more expensive cameras have is a wide angle lens. This gives more detail to the video and can make what the issue at hand is clearer.

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
I am thinking of getting a helmet cam, not just for commuting - though that would be its main use - but also just for recording some of my 'recreational' cycling.

There seems to be a reasonable range of cameras out there in internet land, the cheapest being £22 and several hundred pounds for the top of the range.

Are the bottom end cameras really bothering with? - I'm not really looking for super quality but obviously would like the results to be watchable.

does anyone out there in CC land have any experience of these cheap helmet cams?

any advice gratefully received.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

I have/had a Veho Muvi Atom (it's up for sale on eBay at the moment). I found it more than okay for recording cruddy driving out on the roads, and I've used it to bring back a visual souvenir of my long countryside rides to the family members that can't get out there. You really can't complain about the quality for the price. Check out my videos for an idea of the quality.

mummra

Über Member
I've just got a Contour GPS as I'm a geek and liked the idea of having the GPS track on the video.
Only now do I realise that you can only view the tack on Contour's site at the moment.

Also been having a few issues with the camera locking up but the support has been excellent.
Hopefully the new firmware with have this sorted.

EDIT - The latest firmware v1.13 seems to have fixed the locking up issue for me.

OP
OP
Blue_icicle

Blue_icicle

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions...

How is this for a weird coincidence... just been round my wifes uncles house, he's 83, and right there laying on the tv was a cheapo helmet cam! he doesn't even have a cycle fgs!

He can barely walk so I have no idea what he brought it for, I'm guessing he got it from one of the shopping channels just cos the guy told him he needed one.

Anyway after some conversation - actually shouting from me and silent nodding of the head from him (he's a bit/lot deaf) - we determined that he doesn't need it, and anyway it doesn't work ... of course it doesn't mate, you don't have a computer to connect it to, or any method of reading an sd card!

So I am now the proud(ish) owner of what appears to be a bottom end Helmet Cam (that does work) :o)

I like the idea of handlebar mounting it, and I'm sure I can knock something up to mount it using the quick release mount that it is currently connected to.

Top Bottom