Helmet discomfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pepper

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to cycling as I really haven't done much at all since around the age of twelve when safety concerns and such weren't exactly my department. However having recently bought a new bike and helmet for the first time in those eight years I'm having a slight problem that is bugging me every time I do end up going out (which has been very few so far, due to this).

The problem I'm having right now is the chin strap on my helmet. I'm aboslutely fine with fitting and securing the helmet itself, however there's no position that I can fasten the chin strap in that it doesn't start immediately digging into my adams apple rather savagely within a couple of seconds. So far the only manner I've managed to fasten the strap in that doesn't cause this problem is rather pointless as it's loose enough to make wearing the helmet largely symbolic.

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for, I'm rather hoping that I can't be the only one who has experienced this rather uncomfortable issue and perhaps there was some kind of trick to making the helmet more comfortable so that swallowing doesn't lead me to unbuckle the strap after less than ten minutes of cycling. Given the terrain and traffic on the roads in the area I'm inclined to wear the helmet rather than go without, so going without is an option I was hoping to bypass.

Thank you for any replies and advice.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Hi Pepper

This should be of help to you rather than trying to describe how to adjust your helmet to fit, one point though as with all new items you buy, the straps will be stiff (newness in manufacture) so a wise move is to sit for a little while and fold / twist and rub the straps just to remove the stiffness out of them (they will become naturally softer with use) that might help you speed things up a little.

good luck :thumbsup:

Hi Pepper

This should be of help to you rather than trying to describe how to adjust your helmet to fit, one point though as with all new items you buy, the straps will be stiff (newness in manufacture) so a wise move is to sit for a little while and fold / twist and rub the straps just to remove the stiffness out of them (they will become naturally softer with use) that might help you speed things up a little.

good luck :thumbsup:

What the video is unclear on is that the side strap (at the "Y") does not only move up and down. You can move the straps individually as well.

if you shorten the front and lengthen the back strap at this point, then the fastening buckle is moved forward. There is a compromise though if the best situation for the strap under the chin makes the ears uncomfortable!

Apart from that it may just be the helmet I am afraid. Different manufacturers have different shapes and fittings, so you may need to look at another brand to achieve your aims.

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I'm inclined to wear the helmet rather than go without.

Glad to hear that Pep, I suspect you will get people suggesting the best way to sort out your fitting issues is to not wear it, but I firmly believe in helmets, (a big accident involving a very smashed helmet but zero head injury certainly had a polarising effect on my helmet views!)

If you bought it from your LBS pop back with it, any LBS worth their salt will help you get it fitted correctly, even if you bought it on ebay or a.n.other online site, go back to where you bought your bike. Tell them the Wife bought it for you as a present and ask their advice, if they won't help they're probably not worth dealing with anyway.

Ride safe :thumbsup:

Top Bottom