helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MoG

Veteran
You shouldn't be in a position where that would be a problem, if you are IMHO it's your fault. Unless of course hes just overtook you hasn't indicated braked hard so he can make the left turn and you run into him.
Think it was a reference to last weeks BBC prog

simmi

Über Member
You shouldn't be in a position where that would be a problem, if you are IMHO it's your fault. Unless of course hes just overtook you hasn't indicated braked hard so he can make the left turn and you run into him.

I couldn't agree more, I will never put myself in a position where I am in a drivers "blind spot" the trouble is drivers who pass you can put you in their blind spots and you have no control over this.

Think it was a reference to last weeks BBC prog
She put herself in danger as far as I saw, and so many cyclist do< might not be the fastest on the bike, but i try and observe
1.The Highway code. ( A guide to the rules of the road)
2. The position and possible action of other road users, (It doesn't always work I had a minor collision the other week).
3. My own experience of driving over the last 20 odd years, from bikes to trucks, (to be honest cab design is not the best you don't have a great deal of all round visibility so you are totally reliant on mirrors for seeing anything other than whats in front, for instance where the bunk is these days the sides are steel panels at one point they used to be glass, the bottoms of the doors used on some trucks have glass panels in the lower section, very easy to see a cyclist next to the cab, the top door mirror is supposed to have replaced this for observing).
I will tell you how easy it is to miss something on our nearside.
I was driving from London to Manchester and as I passed the Junction of Princess Park Way Wythenshawe Rd just after the M56, I had been in lane 3 of 4 the junction lane 1 becomes the slip road, I intend to move from what now is lane 2 to lane 1, check mirrors indicate the next thing i see is this red roof sail across my vision of view. The car went across 2 lanes of traffic into the central barrier in rush hr traffic fortunately no other vehicles were involved.
Why did it happen, I dont rightfully know, was she undertaking me at speed, did I not observe correctly, all I know is that that after I filled the insurance claim forms in I never heard another thing, from what I can deduce from the scene I must have caught her about the rear o/s wheel with the front n/s of the truck, which is why she spun, so this put her almost 3/4 of a car length in front, and I still did not see her (lack of visibility again, and time and again you see pedestrians walk out in front of trucks in just this same spot, happened to me).
People complain about truck drivers, but I would bet my last pound that most truck drivers are safer drivers than most car drivers and pedestrians, because you simply have to be so visually aware of what's around.
The problem as I see it with left turning LGV is that they have to be away from the kerb to make the turn, if this happens in slow moving traffic the truck will appear to some as its not intending to turn left because of the gap it has to leave, sometimes wide enough for a car to get down, temptation is to nip down the inside, sometimes with tragic results, sometimes even checking the upper mirror is not enough to see a cyclist, they do have a narrow angle of view, you have to check and check again, and check going round almost to the point you could miss something else.
There are good and bad, in all walks of life, just because a truck is involved don't assume it was the drivers fault.

MoG

Veteran
She put herself in danger as far as I saw, and so many cyclist do< might not be the fastest on the bike, but i try and observe
1.The Highway code. ( A guide to the rules of the road)
2. The position and possible action of other road users, (It doesn't always work I had a minor collision the other week).
3. My own experience of driving over the last 20 odd years, from bikes to trucks, (to be honest cab design is not the best you don't have a great deal of all round visibility so you are totally reliant on mirrors for seeing anything other than whats in front, for instance where the bunk is these days the sides are steel panels at one point they used to be glass, the bottoms of the doors used on some trucks have glass panels in the lower section, very easy to see a cyclist next to the cab, the top door mirror is supposed to have replaced this for observing).
I will tell you how easy it is to miss something on our nearside.
I was driving from London to Manchester and as I passed the Junction of Princess Park Way Wythenshawe Rd just after the M56, I had been in lane 3 of 4 the junction lane 1 becomes the slip road, I intend to move from what now is lane 2 to lane 1, check mirrors indicate the next thing i see is this red roof sail across my vision of view. The car went across 2 lanes of traffic into the central barrier in rush hr traffic fortunately no other vehicles were involved.
Why did it happen, I dont rightfully know, was she undertaking me at speed, did I not observe correctly, all I know is that that after I filled the insurance claim forms in I never heard another thing, from what I can deduce from the scene I must have caught her about the rear o/s wheel with the front n/s of the truck, which is why she spun, so this put her almost 3/4 of a car length in front, and I still did not see her (lack of visibility again, and time and again you see pedestrians walk out in front of trucks in just this same spot, happened to me).
People complain about truck drivers, but I would bet my last pound that most truck drivers are safer drivers than most car drivers and pedestrians, because you simply have to be so visually aware of what's around.
The problem as I see it with left turning LGV is that they have to be away from the kerb to make the turn, if this happens in slow moving traffic the truck will appear to some as its not intending to turn left because of the gap it has to leave, sometimes wide enough for a car to get down, temptation is to nip down the inside, sometimes with tragic results, sometimes even checking the upper mirror is not enough to see a cyclist, they do have a narrow angle of view, you have to check and check again, and check going round almost to the point you could miss something else.
There are good and bad, in all walks of life, just because a truck is involved don't assume it was the drivers fault.

100% agree with everything you have said here - I too drive HGV for a living and you are spot on.

Top Bottom