Helmets in yet another sport - an evidence-based decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
http://www.iseh.co.uk/news/latest-news/new-page-44

I was surprised to see that the Commonwealth Games male boxers weren't wearing headguards. I'm even more surprised to see that it was a result of formal research. Boxing is a revolting sport - I would cheerfully see it disappear - but I'm impressed that they've bothered to do what should be a very easy piece of research for any sport which has, at some point, mandated a particular form of protection. One quote caught my eye:
‘But the most likely reason is people just feel more confident with a head guard on. They don’t put their head in a position where it can’t get hit. That’s the most persuasive argument for me.’

Dr Loosemore believes that not only will the new rule lead to a safer fight but also to a more exciting one, arguing that ‘The boxing’s better without the head guards and it’s reducing the number of head injuries, which is low in this sport anyway.’
Theories of risk compensation and acknowledgement of low absolute risk, all in two sentences.

OP
OP
srw

srw

Acknowledgements to @rvw for the link - I think her charity has a hand in funding the ISEH.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
They should ditch gloves too, as they allow the boxers to punch harder without injuring their hands, thereby increasing brain injuries.
The resulting bloody facial injuries, while relatively superficial (compared to brain damage!), would also hopefully start to put people off it!

rvw

Guru
Mike Loosemore is quite good on looking at the evidence for things. He spoke at an event I was at and, when challenged about the "danger" of boxing (particularly for women) commented that the likelihood of a brain injury is far greater from riding a horse - but there is no outcry against little Jocasta being bought her first pony, by exactly the kind of middle-class parent who expresses horror at women boxing.

fimm

Veteran
I was intrigued to see that the female boxers were continuing to use headguards although the males were not. From the link:
"Whilst this new rule has come into place in Men’s amateur boxing, due to the fact that Women’s boxing is still such a young sport, not enough research has been conducted to say for sure that the same changes should be made, as a result the Women’s sport will include the use of head guards for the time being."
I did wonder if, because women are not as strong as men (and so, I assume, can't punch as hard), female boxers are less dangerous to one another than male boxers are - but this is entirely speculation. Male and female skulls are different, aren't they? Would that make a difference?

U

User482

They should ditch gloves too, as they allow the boxers to punch harder without injuring their hands, thereby increasing brain injuries.
The resulting bloody facial injuries, while relatively superficial (compared to brain damage!), would also hopefully start to put people off it!

Amateur boxing gloves have more padding than professional gloves, specifically to reduce the impact of a punch. My understanding is that incidence of head injury in amateur boxing is lower than professional boxing (and lower than some other sports for that matter).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I was intrigued to see that the female boxers were continuing to use headguards although the males were not. From the link:
"Whilst this new rule has come into place in Men’s amateur boxing, due to the fact that Women’s boxing is still such a young sport, not enough research has been conducted to say for sure that the same changes should be made, as a result the Women’s sport will include the use of head guards for the time being."
I did wonder if, because women are not as strong as men (and so, I assume, can't punch as hard), female boxers are less dangerous to one another than male boxers are - but this is entirely speculation. Male and female skulls are different, aren't they? Would that make a difference?

Maybe the style of fighting is different. I don't watch boxing so I couldn't comment on if this is an actuality.

BRounsley

Über Member
I box (I don’t complete, I only spa) and love it. I do wear a head guard and use large 18oz gloves. I’ve being following the head guard rule change.

Under amateur rules you use bigger gloves, have shorter rounds and it's only over 3 rounds. It’s very much a point’s game and matches are stopped very quickly if one of the boxers looks unfit to continue.

It would be interesting to see how sports stack up on the actual risk compared to the perceived risk. Use cyclists have all been told how risky that is!

You’d never get me back on a rugby pitch. I don’t play football myself but I’ve reached that mid-thirties zone where a lot of my friends have come away with nasty injuries playing 5 aside. I think once over 30 you stop bouncing and start snapping.

I don’t wear a cycle helmet. I don’t want to start the debate but I’m yet to be convinced on their value. I've done a lot of research. Maybe my risk and reward is skewed but when I was hitting the hills on Saturday, I’d descend on the brakes keeping well below 30mph, others passing me 40+. When boxing I can stop it at any point but I dread to think what lasting damage a high speed cycle accident could do, regardless of how much polystyrene someone has strapped to the top of there head!

slowwww

Veteran
Amateur boxing gloves have more padding than professional gloves, specifically to reduce the impact of a punch. My understanding is that incidence of head injury in amateur boxing is lower than professional boxing (and lower than some other sports for that matter).
A friend of a friend is a Neurosurgeon, and his view is the exact opposite. He said that if professional boxing was to be permitted at all, this should be bare knuckle as the lack of padding would mean that people would get knocked down/out more quickly. He believes that while being knocked out is never a good thing and can cause permanent damage, the impact of continuous, though slightly softer pummelling for 12 x 3 minute rounds was much more dangerous to the long term health of the fighters.

However, he believes that the copious amounts of additional blood that bare-knuckle would generate would remove any element of glamour from the ‘sport’ and would polarise the audience and only the blood-thirstiest would continue to turn out, and also the television companies wouldn't cover this. So the boxing promoters would prefer to continue risk the lives of the boxers to ensure that the more squeamish audiences and tv companies remain engaged and the money keeps rolling in
Also a change to bare-knuckle would require a change in legislation. I can’t see that being a vote winner!

BRounsley

Über Member
A friend of a friend is a Neurosurgeon, and his view is the exact opposite. He said that if professional boxing was to be permitted at all, this should be bare knuckle as the lack of padding would mean that people would get knocked down/out more quickly. He believes that while being knocked out is never a good thing and can cause permanent damage, the impact of continuous, though slightly softer pummelling for 12 x 3 minute rounds was much more dangerous to the long term health of the fighters.

However, he believes that the copious amounts of additional blood that bare-knuckle would generate would remove any element of glamour from the ‘sport’ and would polarise the audience and only the blood-thirstiest would continue to turn out, and also the television companies wouldn't cover this. So the boxing promoters would prefer to continue risk the lives of the boxers to ensure that the more squeamish audiences and tv companies remain engaged and the money keeps rolling in
Also a change to bare-knuckle would require a change in legislation. I can’t see that being a vote winner!

Adding gloves did increase headshots. Professional boxers used to avoided headshots due to the risk of breaking a hand. This was in a time when people boxed day after day as a job. It was a very dangerous job and a broken hand would mean unemployment. In a similar way motor racing used to be much more dangerous.

One of the issues with removing head guards is the increase of cuts. In amateur boxing you cannot continue in a completion with a cut. This could be local thing or the Olympics.

As for the money angle most boxing is amateur, as in this case, and has no money associated. Most clubs are run on a shoes string and often by volunteers. A lot of these club sessions have no “boxing” its pure fitness and pad work which you can do for a little as £2 a session.

OP
OP
srw

srw

That could be because an amateur bout is only 3 rounds, as opposed to 12 or so for the pros.

U

User482

That could be because an amateur bout is only 3 rounds, as opposed to 12 or so for the pros.

True, but it should be possible to correct for that - e.g. total number of rounds fought in a given time period.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
[QUOTE 3227602, member: 45"]Do cage fighters wear gloves? No? Is that why they spend the whole of the fight hugging?[/QUOTE]

They do wear small gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom