Helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The most stringent, authoritative and independent physical lid testing is funded by the Road Safety Trust and carried out by Folsam. They periodically pull together a fair range of lids and test them, and very few end up on their recommended list.

There are plenty of MIPS (or equivalent type system) lids that don't make their recommented list, and some conventional lids that do.

The presence of MIPS has the potential to make a helmet 'safer', but as can be seen it does not automatically do so.

It is over simplistic at best, and incorrect at worst, to suggest that a MIPS equipped helmet is automatically more effective at reducing injury than a conventional one, when this independent testing has shown that to be demosntrably not the case.

Sharky

Guru
When selecting size, consider what you might wear on cold winter days. Wearing a skullcap under the helmet could push you into the next size up.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I saw someone with an older ROADR 500 from decathlon that greatly resembled an older Kask Mojito helmet. I was really considering one till i went on the decathlon website, had a look and saw that they had given it a facelift.... The front end resembles a Specialized helmet while the rest is more or less kask mojito'ish or Giro Atmos'ish. I dont particularly like the look of it now but just as well as all colours and sizes are currently sold out. (must be quite a popular helmet)

I do like the cushion set up in the RoadR 500 a little more than the planetX CARNAC CROIX SL but at the same time the Carnac has a lot of good things about it too like the reflectivity, built in rear flashy and the channelling for better ventilation

Last edited:
My son is studying design engineering and is doing a dissertation on concussion on hockey goalkeepers and their helmets, so has done a fair amount of research on impact on helmets. He bought me a MIPS helmet as the stuff he’d read concerned him when I was cycling.

tinywheels

Über Member

icowden

Veteran
I started road cycling last year, decades after enjoying mountain biking in what seems like a previous life.
It will be for commuting and for longer weekend road riding. Any recommendations appreciated. I like the look of the Abus Gamechanger but it doesn't appear to be MIPS.

If you cycle any distance, it's worth looking at the weight of the helmet also. I used to get a neck ache with my cheapo helmet. A good one was purchased for my birthday, tonnes lighter and the neck ache practically gone (I get a bit stiff after 45 miles or so but that's lack of fitness!)

Personally I like helmets that have good visibility as when I am driving it's often the first thing I will see in residential areas, due to parked cars.

LisaG71

Regular
You will all be happy to know that I found a helmet!
I was looking for something that had a google (simular to my quad helmets). I found a brand that makes magnetic shields for their helmets. there are several shields ... one for night, 2 for day [1 blue, 1 black], and a clear. The helmet comes with a black/dark one and I bought a clear. Mostly for now I plan to ride the multi-use trails and boy are they dusty! Especially when a quad goes by. I also wear glasses, so a sun-type glasses option is out. with the shields, I won't have to worry about dust (hopefully) or the sun blinding me.
This helmet was 35.00 (usd) on amazon (helmet comes from the company though) and the shields are 10.00 a piece (also usd)

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My son is studying design engineering and is doing a dissertation on concussion on hockey goalkeepers and their helmets, so has done a fair amount of research on impact on helmets. He bought me a MIPS helmet as the stuff he’d read concerned him when I was cycling.
If that's *ice* hockey, ISTR that the helmets are purely to protect against penetration by the puck/stick/skate and are not designed to mitigate concussion.

Top Bottom