Help buying mountain bike under £100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nicolas199

Hello everyone,

I recently moved to the UK and would like to buy a bicycle to move into the city, I was looking for options for under £100.
I’m 1,69m so probably a 54cm Road Bike Size would be suitable. (I would rather use a big mountain bike than a Small one).

These are the preferred options I found. Would appreciate any advice on which one seems to be the best possible mountain bike:

Option 1: Kona 7005 aluminum, Frame size 15" - 16". £70
Link: https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/mountain-bike-with-7-gears-shimano-/1439919458

Option 2: Saracen 20”, model unknown, £97.00
Link: https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/bike-20/1442020027

Option 3: Giant Terrago, Frame size unknown, £99.00
Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:c10f4ef4-ee0f-4f55-8d74-1cdcf912d101

Option four:
None of them

Thank you very much!!

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t get anything with suspension unless it’s for off roading, so none of those if riding on roads (there’s not much mountain biking that requires suspension around Kingston, especially as you mention moving into the city..London?)
it’s a fair ride from Kingston to Central London, I’d get something more Road oriented

Dadam

In your position I'd go to one of those bike charities if there are any nearby. They get donated old bikes, do them up a bit and sell them for not too much. That way you can see the bikes you want, get some advice and reasonable assurance it's in working order.

I bought my daughter a bike to learn on before lockdown from one near us in Leeds. A nice little Raleigh Vixen hybrid. They only wanted £35 for it! I guess prices will be a bit higher now especially in London but it's worth finding if there's one near you.

vickster

Legendary Member
In your position I'd go to one of those bike charities if there are any nearby. They get donated old bikes, do them up a bit and sell them for not too much. That way you can see the bikes you want, get some advice and reasonable assurance it's in working order.

I bought my daughter a bike to learn on before lockdown from one near us in Leeds. A nice little Raleigh Vixen hybrid. They only wanted £35 for it! I guess prices will be a bit higher now especially in London but it's worth finding if there's one near you.

There’s a place in Surbiton but it’s closed at the moment, actually not seen it open for months

Jameshow

Veteran
Option 2 is a kids bike.

I would by a rigid forked MTB or a hybrid like a Raleigh pioneer.

You can always upgrade to slicks or semi clicks.

Petrichorwheels

Gotta ask, why a mountain bike?
I'd be inclined to look on gumtree for a genuine non commercial seller of a hybrid, steel if possible. Should be able to get one for £100 but would help if you are mechanically capable

Jody

Stubborn git

Put some slick tyres on that and it won't be too bad for the money.

Top Bottom