Help...desperately need motivation!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Hopefully a few words of wisdom can help me out here (and I`m sorry if it`s in the wrong section - didn`t know which one to put this in:blush:, it does come under fitness though I suppose!!).

Basically, I`ve been covering 100 - 150 miles a week for the last six years. I went from being 15st in the beginning down to a 12st "racing snake", and this all became the norm. Some of my riding was offroad, but the vast majority is road stuff.

Now, the enthusiasm is going, along with the mileage count, and I`m putting weight back on:sad::biggrin:. I really want to be back where I was!! I still have the interest I always had, just no motivation

Anybody else in the same boat?? Is it just a "phase" or do I really need a good kick up the backside?!!

Advice much appreciated:smile::evil:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mix and Match........ Road and MTB - I'm a Roadie by trade (whatever) - but do a little dabble.... great...........

Im lucky off road routes are near to my home..............

My main training is commuting...it's dull, like dish water, but it actually does pay benefits at weekends/ leisure rides.............

Norm

speccy1 said:
I went from being 15st in the beginning down to a 12st "racing snake", and this all became the norm.
I can assure you that the Norm is no 12st racing snake. He is not even a 15st racing snake. ;)

Agree with Fossyant. Also, do you cycle with mates to add a little extra compulsion to go out? It's easy to backslide when it's just you, harder when you feel you're letting other people down - and the right company might make it more enjoyable again.

Have you considered entering an event / challenge or anything so that you have motivation other than weight control?

If it is mainly weight control that you are interested in, can you change the way you train to get the same benefit for less riding time?

ASC1951

Guru
I would find 100-150 miles a week a fairly high mileage - not the physical effort so much as the time it would take away from all the other things I like doing. For instance I swim at least once a week and run every other day, partly for cross training but mainly to stop myself getting bored.

It is very difficult to lose weight as an adult just by exercise. Food control - quality as well as quantity - is essential. Less refined carbohydrate, less red meat, more leaf vegetables, moderate fruit yada yada.

ACS

Legendary Member
Why not split your year into 2 training divisions, when the clocks change for the winter start cross-training with a view to doing an early season bi or triathlon, play squash anything to break up the routine of cycling training. Many years ago I was forced down the cross training route because if lower leg injuries caused by excessive road running. (70 -85 per week)

Started to train for a local triathlon, best thing I could have done, discovered cycling, new challenges came along, came in to contact with other types of sports people who opened my mind to new training regimes and I took 2 minutes off my best 10km, 6 months after making the transition.

Now I just cycle, play with a winter squash league (read social) and do some walking at weekends, weather permitting. Getting an indoor rower in a couple of weeks to use instead of a turbo trainer which has finally fell apart.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
To be honest I find now is the low-point of my cycling year, the club season's over, most of my 'big' rides are done and it's getting chillier and darker. There again, have ridden much and well over the summer and maybe a few weeks rest is due. I find most years like this. In a month or so's time my enthusiasm will mend and I'll get a winter routine under way. In my case that's riding late evenings with a couple of mates twice a week. As others have mentioned, riding buddies are a big help with motivation. Also agree with others regarding other forms of excercise in the winter. I'm already doing body-balance with Mrs FF once a week and may start running again. Then there's the Turbo in the garage for a quick spin. At this time of year, variety helps.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Lots of good suggestions already...

I'd imagine Plymouth have an active CTC - it might mean going a little bit slower than you usually do, but maybe you could join the CTC or go on some Audax rides? At this time of year I like going for rides that revolve around tea, cake and chat.

It's worth bearing in mind that sometimes when you're lacking in motivation it might be because you're a bit under the weather, in which case a couple of weeks off, without beating yourself up for not riding, might bring your motivation back.

Am well impressed you've been keeping that kind of mileage up for 6 years!

Bill Gates

You might start with what motivated you in the first place. You talk about losing weight and exercising helps with this and cycling is a great way to exericse, and you lost weight. In a way though it's a bit like dieting. Diets are short term, and to be effective long term there needs to be a life style change.

Doing the same thing week after week is OK at the beginning but over time can get boring. For me there has always got to be a competitive element to my training; some sort of goal, target, purpose. To be a competitive cyclist it is accepted that you cannot be riding at your best all year round. There are periods of rest; building strength and endurance, and then getting to a peak maybe two or three times in a year.

I would recommend that you should identify some cycling goal, probably in the summer of next year and the start building towards it. If you're feeling a bit jaded then given a choice you would rather it now than in the middle of next year. One of the best racing seasons I had was following an Autumn when I didn't touch the bike at all in October and then started slowly again in November. All of us need a break from what can be a bit of a grind from the training treadmill. In a couple of weeks you'll be fine.

Rockus

Hi all

I've not been cycling that long in comparison to most of you -only a couple of years; although i've never not been doing some form of exercise for as long as a can remember. Sixteen years of rugby...blah blah blah

I do however def agree with many of the points raised. I found i hit a mental wall a few months back. I was fit enough but just not pushing hard enough.

It sounds like you're doing the miles Speccy1, so hav you considered getting hold of some new training hardware? I mean i new cycle computer giving you much more information and allowing you to explore new routes? Basically i ended up buying a Garmin 705. Its an outlay but its helped a lot so far and i haven't even explored its full potential.

Costly option i know, but if cycling is your passion, perhaps give it a go...

SimonC

Fab Foodie said:
To be honest I find now is the low-point of my cycling year, the club season's over, most of my 'big' rides are done and it's getting chillier and darker. There again, have ridden much and well over the summer and maybe a few weeks rest is due. I find most years like this. In a month or so's time my enthusiasm will mend and I'll get a winter routine under way. In my case that's riding late evenings with a couple of mates twice a week. As others have mentioned, riding buddies are a big help with motivation. Also agree with others regarding other forms of excercise in the winter. I'm already doing body-balance with Mrs FF once a week and may start running again. Then there's the Turbo in the garage for a quick spin. At this time of year, variety helps.

Easy tiger;)

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Think about an hour or 2 with a qualified PT, who can sit down with you and discuss why you are feeling de motivated in an open and honest manner.
Leading to a new training focus and hopefully plan - less costly than you think - but choose wisely

Top Bottom