Help! I need advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclingwidow1

Hi all

My husband has recently taken up reguar cycling and I would like to get him a new helmet for christmas. He does mainly country road and lane cycling. Please can anyone give ma a place to start?Brands, styles etc. to go for? I was thinking of about £50? Would v much welcome your opinions and advice. I am happy to return advice on what to buy the lady in your life if any of you need it :evil:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Does he already have a helmet? If so (assuming it's a good fit) then look for something by the same manufacturer, as the fit tends to vary between brands (both in terms of size and shape), e.g. MET helmets fit me well, but Specialized don't.
Look for one with good venting. Some helmets come with clip-on peaks, these tend to be favoured more by mountain bikers rather than road cyclists. Maybe pick a colour that matches his bike or riding kit?
There's lots of good helmets out there for £50ish, of similar standards when it comes to safety certification.

ChrisKH

Guru
The problem with helmets (as I have found to my disadvantage when I ordered one over t'internet ) is that like a new skirt :becool: they are very much a personal thing. So he would need to try some on and say "that one".
Does he need something else that doesn't necessarily need him to be there? Lights, gloves, shorts, longs, etc. Alternatively get a recommendation on here and buy it from an outlet that will swap it if it doesn't fit that well.

I have a Bell Sweep R Helmet which I love but is a bit over £50.

There are lots of helmets around the £50 mark, but fit is important I think.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd say go for the Sweep R for about £60 if you look around. Try a few on in the shops, then get it cheap on the web if the shop isn't selling them for about £60. Also puts you in the Giro Pneumo range - very good also, I have one.

historyman

Don't mean to interfere but have you ascertained from the husband that he desires a helmet? There is considerable debate in the cycling world as to their efficacity/ necessity. You might be better off getting him a spare pair of lights, or a cosy merino wool base layer.

OP
OP
C

cyclingwidow1

Thank you all for your advice. He had mentioned a new helmet so planning to go with him next time he's at the lbs, subtly suggest he tries a few on - maybe with a nice pair of tights?! Happy cycling

Top Bottom