Help identifying Holdsworth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dodge2015

I wonder if the UK vintage bike experts out there can help me identify this frame. I purchased it second hand in 1972 in West London. The vendor told me that the frame had been renovated by Allins of Croydon. I built the bike into a respectable touring machine and have used it for many years. I now want to renovate it and checked out the internet to try and determine which Holdsworth model it was. From the design and brazed on bits, I judge it to be an early to mid 1960’s frame. The frame number does not fit with the published Holdsworth frame numbers. I noticed at the time that I bought it that the frame did not have a “Renovated by Allins” transfer on the seat tube which is something that they usually put on. Furthermore, several years ago, a Holdsworth “expert” said that he didn’t think it was a Holdsworth frame. The frame is clearly quite well made with neat clean brazing, Campag ends and Nervex lugs.

Frame facts:

Frame No: 796239 Forks No: 903

Seat tube: 22.5” Top Tube: 22.5”Angles: 72/72 Wheelbase: 41.5” Fork rake: 2.5”

Any clues as to what the frame is?

Is it worth spending money on renovating the frame?
Holdsworth bb web.jpg
Holdsworth Frame web.jpg
Holdsworth head badge web.jpg
Holdsworth number web.jpg

Attachments

• Holdsworth seat lug web.jpg
    Holdsworth seat lug web.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 239

midlife

Guru
Lugs look very Oscar Egg to me, not usually used on shabby frames... Nice :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
Dodge2015

Dodge2015

Probably will renovate frame but I would like to put a correct name on it. Six figure frame number suggests a medium to large frame builder unless the numbers are some sort of manufacturering code. The number is quite clear - 796239. I know that Holdsworth were acquiring several other marques in the 1960s. It is also apparent that their frame numbering system was a bit confused around this time. Obvious alternatives could be Carlton or Viking but the number does not fit their systems either. To me the forks look lesser quality and I don't think that they are original - number on forks is 903. Picture attached.
Holdsworth forks web.jpg

BB is english thread 24 tpi. I think that the frame is UK built but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Dodge2015

Dodge2015

Head tube badge picture attached. Damage to badge was my touring bag pressing against it. Bottom rivet is missing.

Attachments

• Holdsworth badge web.jpg
    Holdsworth badge web.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 178

nuovo_record

I think the serial number is too large for a Holdsworth. I have an early 70s mistral which is 5 digit 4xxxx, and had an 1982 nuovo record which was 04xxxx. Sorry can't remember the exact numbers hence the xxxx. Forks and frame should match if a Holdsworth

Top Bottom