Help identifying Raleigh touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
IMG_20230427_184318.jpg
Can anyone help me identify this Raleigh touring bike, I would post more photos but having trouble doing so, it has Exage 500 LX chainset and rear mec with biopace chain rings (triple). Raleigh stamped into the top of the seat stays. SLR Shimano cantilever brakes. Tange unique headset. RX100 hubs Sakae custom road champion bars . Looking down the seat tube the tubing is seamless. It's been repainted in light grey but has no decals, my thoughts are 1980s Royal can anyone come up with a more accurate idea??.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
IMG_20230427_184526.jpg

IMG_20230427_184333.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Has it got spare spoke carriers on the non drive side lower rear stay , if so then Randonuer.
Also Raleigh sold some framesets and pretty sure there where a couple of touring ones , search on sbdu frames

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
There are no spoke carrier brazeons . I will have a look at the sbdu side of it thanks, do you think bought as a frame it would have been sold without decals? if so maybe in its original colour, I've had a look in side the steerer tube while checking the headset and it's the same colour.
It's very clean and original.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
There are no spoke carrier brazeons . I will have a look at the sbdu side of it thanks, do you think bought as a frame it would have been sold without decals? if so maybe in its original colour, I've had a look in side the steerer tube while checking the headset and it's the same colour.
It's very clean and original.

From memory one of the touring framesets was a two tone brown colour.

And yes they had decals fitted.

Another one was the flat bar that I think was a Gemini and they were 531 throughout

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Im thinking more towards a late 80s Royal rather than a frame only buy, it is a good respray if it is a complete bike. All the components are from that era.
The frame number doesn't match up with Sheldon Browns explanation of how to decode them and not found much info on later Raleigh frame number's so far. My intention is to get decals for it but want get it right if I can rather than guess.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Also found it has seven speed index shifter and the 1989 catalogue list the Royal as a six speed so possibly 1990 model?. I wonder when Raleigh changed the Royal and Ranndenour to 708 tubing found mention of a 1994 model with 708 but I doubt they would have non airo brake levers on anything much beyond 1990.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member

Some good details in the photos. The 1989 catalogue list the Royal and Ranndenour as having stainless spokes but no mention of it for the Touriste so im thinking they would be galv spokes, mine has stainless that match the original group set it also has vertical rear drop outs unlike the Touriste on ebay, the frame closely matches my 1997 Randonneur but obvious older so my thinking is most likely a Royal possibly 1990?

midlife

Guru
I have a recollection that C frame numbers are 1990, I'll have a Google, there was someone on Retrobike who worked for Raleigh that posted about more modern numbers.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Just found some info on line about Raleigh special products new frame numbering for the 1990s A=1990 B=1991 C=1992 and so on followed by a 5 digit number so if that is correct mine would be a 1992 model.

Top Bottom