---------------------==/Help identifying vintage racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So we could be looking at a 1980's 531 frame then, from the rear spacing and seatpost diameter?. The dropouts are a bit of an oddity though, as they suggest a low-end frame using nutted axles. In the more modern era at least, generally a frame built with a quality tubeset will tend to have quite nice forged dropouts, not the stamped ones found on budget machines.

midlife

Guru
Have you given the top bolt a snack to release the wedge?

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
@SkipdiverJohn yes, it was the drop outs that initially make me think it must be much older than 1980s. Bit of a puzzler!

@midlife yes, GT85 top & bottom (through the head tube) and a good tap with a hammer on the bolt. It's not the expander that's stuck though, it's the bolt itself. Leaving it to soak for a bit now.

If I was keeping it I'd probably leave as is, but since I'll be selling it on it's nice to do so with everything in perfect working order if at all possible. No idea how to price this one though, especially with the current crazy pricing going on (I usually buy and sell much lower down the market!).

Needs some toe clips added before a proper longer test ride, will have a rummage in the garage. Might pop some fresh brake hoods on as the current ones are looking a bit tired.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
No idea how to price this one though, especially with the current crazy pricing going on (I usually buy and sell much lower down the market!).

I'd be tempted to start it at 99p on a 7 or 10 day listing, but with a BIN option set at a level that puts you well into profit on the project. Low-start listings might ordinarily be seen as risky (little interest = low max bid), but pretty much anything capable of being ridden immediately seems to be attracting interest currently, so a 99p start might attract a lot of buyers.
The biggest difficulty is how to describe it positively, as you don't know who built it, or what sort of tubing it is made of, so the description has to be nuanced to focus on the good points without telling any lies. I would weigh it and see if the figure you get means you can safely assume it's a butted steel frame. My Raleigh Royal, in minimalist form, devoid of mudguards and rack, weighs 25.6 lbs and is 23 1/2" in size. If yours weighs 27 lbs or less with the mudguards, you can safely assume the frame is double-butted and in all likelihood, is 531.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Cheers @SkipdiverJohn, was thinking along those lines. Never been brave enough to chance a 99p start auction before. I guess I'd have to get hold of a bike box and offer postage in that case, might not get much interest from people who can drive to deepest mid Devon.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would not faff around with posting bikes. They are about the worst possible thing to send anywhere, being both bulky and easily damaged at the same time. And couriers with a van crammed full of online purchases to deliver are not going to be fussed about piling a load of stuff on top of a bike. If you do collection only the buyer can look at what they're getting and walk if they really aren't happy. Less possible hassle. To all intents and purposes, the lockdown is over anyway regardless of what the government may say. Everybody is out and about in force, both on the roads and out in parks etc. If someone really wants your bike, they will be willing and able to drive to Devon to collect it.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Shimano groupset is 1989.

The closest match I can find for the serial number is Miyata, and the first letter S would make it a 1990 frame. Not convinced this is correct though, can't find a good match on their catalogues.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Off for a quick spin on it now 🙂

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm wondering if the seatstays might be recognisable as a clue to who built it. Some manufacturers bikes are very distinctive in that respect, and even something with a plain no-decal paint job can still be identified if it has particular features.
With a weight of 25 lbs it's pretty much a given that the frame is a high quality double-butted tubeset of some sort. Whether it's 531 or something less familiar that has a similar wall thickness is another matter. The construction and the relatively plain looking lugs suggest it wasn't built to show off someone's framebuilding skills, but rather as a no-fuss but high quality machine. A Japanese frame built to undercut western handmade steel prices could be a plausible explanation..

Top Bottom