Help me buy a bike....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spy

Hi all,

I am new here and was hoping for some help. I have seen the two other threads on Hybrid bikes but my requirements in terms of spend seem to be in the middle of the other two so I thought I would post a separate thread.

I am looking to buy a bike that I will use mainly on roads (75% of the time) and in parks (20%) with some off-road cycling in the rougher parts of national parks (5%). I won't be doing competitive off road racing but would like a bike that is effortless on the road but won't fall apart if I take it off-road for 5 mins.

I currently have a nigh on 20 year old Trek 830 Antelope which has served me well but I feel it is showing its age in terms of weight and pace and would like to get something newer.

My initial thoughts were to get another MTB and was looking at something like the Carrera Vengeance Limited in Halfords (tempted by what appears to be a good price) but then my attention turned to Hybrids. I am not sure how sturdy Hybrids are though. The Specialized Sirrus looks quite, I am quite attracted by its light weight. The Boardman Performance Team hybrid at Halfords also looks interesting.

I would be grateful for some advice from you guys as to what would suit me better and recommended bikes. My budget is around the £500 to £600 mark - Thanks

BSRU

A Human Being
Why not look at a cross bike instead of a hybrid?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
What's the difference between a cross bike and a Hybrid ?

I thought a Hybrid was a cross between a road and Mountain bike

A hybrid has flat bars and a cyclo cross bike is a rugged road style bike with drop bars.

Top Bottom