Help me decide which MTB and what i actually need!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Hi all,

I am currently looking for a new MTB bike, with a new/used budget of around £1-1.5k

I currently own two bikes;
- Trigon Carbon race bike, with full dura ace, blah, blah, blah
- Claude butler Urban 400 bike

I have been riding the hybrid (Claude butler) for over a year on roads and now am taking off road, where it is struggling greatly. The suspension (front) is on its softest setting, which is adequate, but the rest of the bike is not up to the job.

I have been reasearching MTB bikes for a month or two now and am heading towards a hardtail, as i am unsure if i actually need full suspension. I would ideally like a very relaible and light bike, but am not sure what level of gear i should go for?

Is there a huge difference between the shimano gears like there is with road bike groupsets? and why would rear suspension actually benefit me?

Globalti

Legendary Member
My advice after 20 yrs MTBing: For light weight and reliability go for a decent mid-range hardtail with air suspension forks and disc brakes. You don't NEED suspension (I rode full rigid for 15 of my 20 years) but suspension forks do make a difference, especially to older riders. Rear suspension adds weight and complication and expense and maintenance hassles. There is quite a difference in the weight of the different levels of groupset as well as mud sealing, ease of use and longevity.

If you don't fancy an alloy frame have a look at Merlin cycles in Leyland who do some smashing value own-brand Rock Lobsters in steel and Ti. If you fancy Ti there's lots of choice, look at Global from Ride On in Rawtenstall, Lancashire. I ride a Global with a carbon seatpopst and it rides so smooth you'd think you have a puncture.

Top Bottom