Help! Need some emergency advice on buying used bike please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fcho1810

Hi, I am looking to purchase a bicycle (hybrid) for my daughter. I saw one on craigslist that i am going to go check out in person tomorrow. The issue is, it's listed as "GT Transeo 1.0," but when i go to evaluate the worth of said bike, i cannot find one comparable to make a solid determination; the reason for this is, the picture (which does seem to say Transeo 1.0) shows no disc brakes. I am unaware of any Transeo 1.0 that does not have disc brakes, and so i do not know if the price is decent for this. They are asking $300 and it's listed as "used twice." It does look clean and I think i'll be able to tell pretty quickly in person if that statement is accurate. When questioned about the age of the bike he did say it was "at least 10 years old." But if it's in "like new" shape I'm not sure that matters? Anyway, main issue is a Transeo 1.0 with disc brakes, $300 seems like a pretty good deal. for this one? I am not knowledge enough to know and would appreciate your expertise in helping me determine that...attaching pic they provided...thanks!

Attachments

• 00n0n_260TaJVGEGzz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00n0n_260TaJVGEGzz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 7
It's possible, if over 10 years old, that disc brakes were not fitted to that model. And, indeed, I just searched for GT Transeo 2010, and bingo! No discs. Just need to decide if that's a deal-breaker or not.

The frame and fork are disk compatible with good mounting locations. The rear rack eyelets look usable. Used bike prices seem to be a bit crazy. What is the new price of GT basic hybrid?
In my experience GT are all well made but smaller sizes have issues with placement of upper rack eyelets very low on seatstays.

OP
OP
fcho1810

fcho1810

Thanks for all of the feedback! We ended up getting it.. new ones go for $750-$900. The used market around my area is pretty strong. The guy clearly has had it in a basement for the entire time he’s had it, which is why I ended up getting it.. yes, it’s a bit small but that’s good for my daughter, thanks all!

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Other than the brakes, it would have to be in mint condition to be worth anything like $300, in my opinion. Half that, maybe.

I live on the East Coast in the U.S. and you couldn’t get a trashed Wal-Mart piece of garbage bike for the suggested value of $150. He got a good deal, less than 1/2 price new.

Plus, even with COVID not quite as rampant right now, unfortunately for shoppers, used bike prices here haven’t come down at all. Puppies and bikes are still selling strong here!

Top Bottom