Help needed Osteopath or Chiropractor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trj977

Über Member
Hi

Ihave some lower back pain, nothing crippling but in the morning I am in pain and need to slowly start moving which seems to ease the pain off. Same thing occurs if I sit in any position for too long. It is also very hard to get a good nights sleep due to the discomfort, and not being able to move easily.

Over the weekend I took some rubbish to the dump and picked up some smokeless fuel. So nothing too arduous but guess I have lifted something the wrong way. I did not feel anything "go" at the time.

So what are the thoughts Osteopath or Chiropractor or just rest any let nature take its course.

Chiropractor would be easiest option for me as there is one very nearby.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Osteopath, Chiropractor, Physiotherapist - As long as you find a god one, it shouldn't matter to much which you see...

LLB

Ben_3 said:
I think chiropractors are a type of osteopath. i.e. chiropractor is a subset of osteopath.

Chiro's are trained by different methods to Osteopaths.

When you get up in the morning, keep your feet together and swing your legs to the floor to sit up. suck your belly button in before you attempt to stand, and this will help to brace your abdominal muscles and make it less painful for you to stand.

A

another_dave_b

I had a hip/back injury that I lived with for several years. I finally went to an Osteopath, and she cleared it up in two visits.

Found the quote below on Bupa's website:
Chiropractic and osteopathy are both manipulation-based therapies used for treating problems associated with bones, joints and the back. The two therapies have much in common, but chiropractors tend to focus on the joints of the spine, and the nervous system, while osteopaths put equal emphasis on the joints and surrounding muscles, tendons and ligaments.

There is a general consensus that osteopathy is less risky in terms of spinal injury because osteopaths usually use less forceful manipulation techniques on the spine.

LLB

I have used Osteopaths for over 20 years and have always had a result with them.

One of my friends is an osteopath and this is the advice he gives:-

What do Osteopaths treat?

Please note that most conditions require a course of treatment involving several visits. You will receive advice to help you manage your particular needs during this process, and you will be encouraged to ask questions pertaining to your condition, and its' treatment.

Osteopaths treat a wide range of conditions including: -

· Joint Strains and Sprains

· Muscle Spasm/ Over Contracture

· Ligament and Tendon injuries

· Effects of Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis

· Disc Trauma

· Headaches

· Growing Problems in Infants

· Birthing Trauma in Babies

Basically anything affecting normal function of the body may benefit from osteopathic treatment. We treat people from the cradle to the grave, and from all walks of life. No one is immune from back or peripheral joint problems.

Top of page

How does Osteopathy work?

Osteopathy aims to provide an uninterrupted pathway for blood, lymph and nerve vessels throughout the entire body.

The greatest user of energy in the body is the musculo-skeletal system at 75% in a normal healthy person. That only leaves 25% for all other functions.

If the musculo-skeletal system is compromised it will draw energy from other areas - this can lead to illness, and organ dysfunction if allowed to continue over prolonged periods.

WARNING: If you have a serious medical condition, and/or you are on prescription medication please check with your own doctor whether any form of osteopathic treatment is safe and practical for you. We are more than happy to discuss your case with your GP if there are any doubts.

Top of page

What happens when I visit the Osteopath?

When you book an appointment at either of our practices we want you to feel totally at ease. In most cases, when someone goes anywhere for the first time, they feel a little apprehensive. When that same person is also in a degree of pain, and discomfort as well, they usually become tense. We are fully aware of this, and strive to make your visit as pleasant as possible. Lets take you through the process………………………………….

You’ve made the appointment. You arrive and knock on the door, where upon you are met and invited in. Once in the treatment/consultation room, you are made comfortable. Then a full case history is taken of your present, and any past conditions. This is extensive and covers all aspects of your life, including past injuries, surgery, medication etc… Assuming that no additional investigations are required at this stage (such as x-rays, or MRI) the treatment programme can be initiated. This begins with a physical examination. Most people prefer to wear loose fitting light cloths for this. You may be asked to perform some simple active movements, followed by some similar passive movements which the osteopath initiates. This starts to build a picture as to the sort, and severity of your complaint. The osteopath will probably focalise some movements, and from this will then talk you through the various treatment options. You are heavily involved in this process, as the treatment programme can only succeed if you are able to work together.

Please note, we welcome chaperones for anyone who is nervous. All minors require a parent or guardian to be present with them in the treatment room

Treatment itself can involve any/or combinations of techniques, some of which are listed here :-

Long lever articulation, using limbs, and head and neck
Short lever articulation, more focused in on individual joints
Soft tissue massage
Slow release techniques placing joints gently in positions of least tension
High velocity thrusts, using low amplitude high speed, short range movements to release latent tension between joint surfaces
Cranio-sacral work releasing bony pressure overlying the meninges (membranes encapsulating the brain and spinal cord)

Following your initial treatment session you may experience some discomfort. This can be due to the local release of lactic acid from over tight muscles, as well as the altered tension of other muscle groups within the body as a whole. Therefore we advise that you try to allow yourself time for the body to settle, as well as make this process easier for you by ensuring you drink sensible quantities of water, don’t slouch, take extra rest whilst your body adjusts to the changes. Most people find that by following the advice you are given during your treatment, that they experience very little discomfort, and only comment on their improvement. Your osteopath will tailor each visit to best suit you. In order to do this successfully you must give honest feedback.
Usually most people require several visits to resolve their problem. During each visit your case history will be updated, and treatment may be modified to better suit your requirements. You are likely to be given advice on lifestyle issues as well, and you will be encouraged to ask questions regarding any of these matters during your time with us.

Top of page

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My sister is an osteopath in the midlands, and she has certainly helped with me... though she lives too far away for a course of treatment. (I need to see her again... but feel guilty incase she thought I only visited for treatment:biggrin:)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Seriously. Get it looked at. If you pick the wrong one, they'll refer you to the other. The important thing is to get up whilst you can, and go see someone. Many will spend £100s making their bike lighter for a minimal gain, but ignore something like this that could take them out completely. If its nothing, great. You just bought insurance for your hobby. If its something, catch it early.

colly

Re member eR
All good advice. I use a chiropractor when I have problems with back pain. He was recommended to me and I have recommended him to others and have had no-one say anything uncomplimentary about him.
So ask around friends, relations and workmates , see if you can get somebody recommended.

Top Bottom