Help please - much appreciated!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sunjihai17

Hi guys.

I'm planning on cycling from Manchester to the arctic circle in Norway via Dover/Calais this summer and just needed some advice on what bike to take. I cycled from Manchester - Paris last year on my regular Raleigh flyer road bike with a backpack on but want to either buy a proper touring bike or upgrade my current one.

I've been looking at a Dawes Vantage for £350 but even this is stretching my budget.

Would it be possible to mount paniers onto my raleigh flyer or would this be too heavy? Or are there other problems? Also I would need to get new tyres/wheels as they are old/bent, any idea how much this would all cost?

Or would you just advise to spend £350 on the Dawes Vantage or another touring bike for a similar price?

Many thanks,

Richard.

andym

Über Member
Does it have mounts for a pannier - if it currently has mudguards then it does, otherwise look for two threaded doobries on the frame above the hub. There are alternatives if you don't have them ('p-clips' are one option).

A new pair of wheels and tyres will cost less than a new bike, and will be better quality - especially if you get them built by a wheelbuilder. Of course you may have other work that needs doing.

Crankarm

Guru
I would look for a 2nd hand specific touring bike such as a Dawes Galaxy or Horizon on FleeBay or for sale on here, Bikeradar or CTC forums which will come with racks and probably just be get on and ride. That will leave you needing your own gear such as panniers if you can't get those 2nd hand as well, clothing, helmet, shoes and lights. If you are cycling to the Nordkapp you're going to spend a lot more than £350 as Norway is quite expensive and the Nordkapp is a very long way. You will also need a full range of clothing as you can be very warm in the day but bl00dy freezing at night near the Arctic Circle. Then there are the mozzies - the size of birds .........

Check out CGOAB.com for others' tales of riding Denmark, Sweden and Norway to the Nordkapp.

Beardie

If you want to cut off a corner, there is a ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg in Denmark. Then you ride to Hirtshals or Frederickshavn and get a ferry to Oslo or Larvick or somewhere. I'm not sure I'd want to slog all the way through France, Belgium, Holland and Germany if my destination was Norway.

Top Bottom