Help please rear wheel/cassette issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, sorry if this is me being stupid but I noticed I had slight play in my rear wheel, ( I could knock it very slightly left to right) i assumed this was the bearings getting worn so made a mental note to get them done. Then noticed the weather was really nice so i popped out and did a 64 mile ride,.. ok still with me? I have just gone out to the bike thought it best to check my little bit of play before riding to work to find that it now has a much more noticable movement from side to side, in fact when looking down from top it almost seems that the axle has snapped as when pushing wheel towards cassette the cassette leans into the wheel and vice versa when pushing the other way. Ok so I have taken wheel off bike and removed the spindle which is fine, the axle didnt drop out in pieces so im guessing thats not the issue but the cassette has a lot of movement ( hold wheel upright and i can rock the cassette about quite a lot) now can anyone have a stab at which bit in my ignorance i have knackered?? I need to get the right tools to take anymore of it apart but am just on my way to work so it will have to be a shopping spree tomorrow or do i just dump it into Halfrauds and expect to pay lots??

Thanks in anticipiation Ill try and check back on here from time time tonight.
(p.s now you know why username is numpty lol )

gavintc

Guru
Not sure why you have considered halfords as your first option for repair. Personally, they would my last option. Find a small local bike shop that repairs bikes not sells car accessories.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
If it is a cone and bearings hub, ie shimano then the cone might be too loose. You'd need a couple of flat spanners and a youtube video to sort that out. Otherwise take it to a LBS.

+ 1 on Spokey's advice. Lots of videos on casette removal. 2 slim bike spanners, chain whip and casette removal. Good investment especially you do long rides (64miles). Watch the video first.

adscrim

Veteran
If your cassette is moving it's possible that you've chewed up splines on your freewheel. In my opinion, the cassette moving around on your feewheel wouldn't be an issue with the bearings.

OP
OP
Nick Numpty

Nick Numpty

Regular
Cheers guys obviously i need to invest in some more tools, as for halfords being the 1st option, the bike came from there so sort of obvious to go back where it came from also it happens to be my closest bike shop as the other independant ones we had all seem to have closed down over the past few years. Has anyone got any recommendations for a bike tool kit that will enable me to remove the cassette? If memory serves right its a sram 9 speed cassette.

uclown2002

Guru
Cheers guys obviously i need to invest in some more tools, as for halfords being the 1st option, the bike came from there so sort of obvious to go back where it came from also it happens to be my closest bike shop as the other independant ones we had all seem to have closed down over the past few years. Has anyone got any recommendations for a bike tool kit that will enable me to remove the cassette? If memory serves right its a sram 9 speed cassette.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-shimanosram-cassette-tool-and-chain-whip-bundle/

OP
OP
Nick Numpty

Nick Numpty

Regular
Update have acquired tools and some new bearings, stripped cassette and hub apart, cleaned regreased and fitted new bearings....touch wood alls good for abit it feels very slightly notchy now when spinning the axle so im guessing have worn the axle slightly by not doing it sooner, on the plus side have a nice warm feeling that i fixed it myself and will acquire new parts shortly and am now more eager to upgrade the bike myself. Thanks guys your help is appreciated.

OP
OP
Nick Numpty

Nick Numpty

Regular
thanks guys, wheel is spinning freely on the bike when i say slightly notchy i mean something I can only just feel with my fingertips directly on the axle not at any other time so im not going to let it worry me for the moment, just going to crack on and get some more miles done.

Top Bottom