Help with Headset Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mikeoupe

I'm in the process of building a MTB, it's my first attempt at building a bike, I'm learning as I go so please forgive this uneducated question!!

Anyway I'm seeking some help / advise in respect to the headset please. Below is a pic is of how the frame was supplied with what I guess are the bearing cups pressed into the head tube.

The head tube O/D is just shy of 51mm at its thickest (top and bottom)

I bought a one of these as a cheap get-go http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:blush:T which clearly isn't what I need.

I've got the forks so can someone who knows what they're talking about (unlike me) explain what I actually need to finalise the assembly?

P6287028800x600.jpg

Many Thanks

Mike

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Nobody will be able to tell you what you need for sure without measurements. However this is as comprehensive a document as any on the subject to help you figure it out, if your frame is not on here.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Are you sure? It looks like a zero stack (semi-integrated) to me.....

OP , measure the internal diameter of the headtube both top and bottom, as occasionally they vary. Measure the internal diameter of the bearing cups already fitted. Visit your LBS and tell them exactly what measurements you have, and they should be able to supply or confirm the right size headset to buy. I'm really surprised to see the cups fitted but not the bearings, as they are usually part and parcel of the headset. It may be that you'll end up knocking them out and replacing them.

What you need is a complete headset, and the cups already fitted will be redundant. The bits that are missing are, from the bottom, a fork crown race, the crown bearing, the upper bearing, upper race, a seal or two, a compression ring, a star-fangled nut, top bolt and cap, and enough spacers to fill the gaps in your steerer.

OP
OP
Mikeoupe

Mikeoupe

Thanks!

You've given me the pointers and info that I need but to be on the safe side I'll take it to my LBS later today.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

Top Bottom