Help with id

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dust

Hello, new here although have been perusing site a while
Could anyone help identify this frame and forks, acquired at a car boot.
No badges or other labelling apart from rgf bb shell and serial number on dropout and stamped on fork stem tube.
IMG_20210522_082748.jpg
IMG_20210522_082630.jpg
IMG_20210522_082700.jpg
IMG_20210522_082558.jpg
IMG_20210522_082619.jpg

IMG_20200812_160542.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Interesting. They look like Prugnet lugs on the frame of the sort used by Claud Butler in the 50's and 60s, and the fork crown has a definite look of CB about it. That said, Im not entirely sure the forks are original to the frame as it is a slightly later style of crown found from the mid 70s onwards.

However, that bottom bracket looks like it may be newer than the frame, likely added as a repair, and the frame number disappeared with the old one.

This is all guesswork. Educated guesswork, but guesswork nevertheless.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Welcome @Dust
Nice looking frame you have
Matching numbers would say to me forks and frame made for each other by same company.
Bottom bracket stamping is the company makers mark of the shell so not the frame maker .
Not sure if the vcc website is accessible anymore by everyone or members only but worth trawling through that .
Are you UK based ?
looks like it had bar end levers at one stage .
Enjoy the hunt for information

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

Thank you for the reply, bike came with a super coureur plastic seaton a campag 27.2 post, not sure that is original. Also has CB bar stem.
I am also confused by the gear cable attachment on downtube see pic, would this suggest gear levers mounted on Handlebar?
Many thanks
IMG_20210525_062909.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks biggs, confirming what I thought on bar end levers. Yes East Midlands based.
It is interesting to start from scratch trying to identify an unusual frame.

I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to id it as you might never find out , it's nice to know for sure
Are the threads standard uk ones for bottom bracket and head set ?
No shadow's on frame where any decals might have been ?
Any oil ports in bottom bracket or head stock as these would point to pre 70's
The fact that it had a 27.2 post points to Reynolds 531 tubing and the lugs are exquisite so deffo nice quality

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to id it as you might never find out , it's nice to know for sure
The fact that it had a 27.2 post points to Reynolds 531 tubing and the lugs are exquisite so deffo nice quality
No oil ports, no sign of decals frame had been hand painted so my first task was to strip it off.
Standard bottom bracket threads.
I assume this would have been a 5 speed as there are no left hand gear cable mounting for front derailleur.
Appreciate the replies and excuse my inexperience if terminology is incorrect

Drago

Legendary Member
The GB finishing kit and Super Coureur seat add weight to my theory that its a Claud, but I do think its been modified with those cable stops and that BB looks like a repair. Im now not so sure about the forks - they may be originsl and the frame is a bit later than I thought, although I'll probably change my mind again by tea time! :laugh:

As Biggs said, you may never find out for sure what it is, but it looks like it would make a lovely bike.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

avecReynolds531

Veteran

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice mystery frame.

The lugs look like Nervex - don't know which model & some frame builders would modify the shape from the original.

I'm pretty sure that the fork crown is a Vagner DP, and as has been mentioned previously, it's not that often seen with these kind of lugs - usually with later lug sets.

I'm confused with the dropouts too.

The frame is set up for a single chain ring as there are no braze ons on the left side of the lower down tube or bottom bracket - but who knows if it's been changed or original. There was a Claud Butler restoration on CC - I think it was early 60s, had Nervex lugs and was a 5 speed - but I can't remember where or when on the forum...

27.2mm seat tube with a Campagnolo seatpost (to me) indicates quality.

Top Bottom