Help with MTB Framesets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Hi all,

Quite a while ago (as some of you may know), i bought a project MTB from eBay and had a few teething problems. They bike is now running as it should be, after new forks and tyres have been fitted.

On paper the bike is excellent, but the ride just feels aweful. I recently picked up a free GT MTB (from 1994), which rides far better then the this bike. It feels far more comfortable to ride and i am currently using this bike for my 30 mile commute whilst my roadbike is being rebuilt.

The only week part on my MTB is the frame, which seems to be a very cheap Aluminium frame. As all the components are what i would like, im now tempted to replace the frame.

As i have already spent a fair amount on the bike, i would like to find a second hand frame to use (and respray this myself). I really like the GT frame i already have and would want something similar, but ideally lighter. The bike is a hartail and i would like to use the kona P2 forks, or the carbon rigid pace forks i currently have.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a reasonably priced new/used frame, which i should look into?

MTB as it stands (actually with old tyres)
photo12.jpg

photo14.jpg

One thing that will help you is knowing that your back wheel is flat!

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Yep just seen that, pictures were taken after a ride where i picked up a puncture. Changed tyres over at that point.

RedBike

I've no idea which GT frame you're talking about but generally GT's cross crountry hardtail frames are pretty light. You're probably not going to get anything noticably lighter without spending some serious money.

I loved the Inbred but I thought the bike I tried was rather heavy. I believe the Scandal is on-ones light weight race frame (not tried one of those yet).

If you've got to pay a shop to change everything from your existing bike over then you might be better off just looking for a new bike and trying to flog the bits off your existing bike.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Hmmm, ill give it some more thought.

Ill take both MTBs on the commute this week and get a better feel for the frames. Its not exactly a fair test (a 30 mile road cycle), but i guess it may help with tweeking my riding position on the new MTB

RedBike

aserota said:
Hmmm, ill give it some more thought.

Ill take both MTBs on the commute this week and get a better feel for the frames. Its not exactly a fair test (a 30 mile road cycle), but i guess it may help with tweeking my riding position on the new MTB

When I ride my MTB on the road it just feels totally wrong. It feels like the fronts too high, I'm sat way up in the air and bolt upright. The knobbly tyres drag and the suspension saps my power.
However, when I get onto more technical off-road terrain all these 'faults' turn out to be a blessing. The bike just feels far more capable.

Mr Pig

RedBike said:
When I ride my MTB on the road it just feels totally wrong.

Yeah, mountain bike, the clue is in the name! ;0) I only have one bike and it's a mountain bike that I use with slick tyres when I want to use it on road. It's really not ideal. The geometry is very much set up for off road and it works well there. On road it's pretty compromised and pisses me off on long rides.

What do you want, a Land Rover or a sports car?

RedBike

Mr Pig said:
Yeah, mountain bike, the clue is in the name! ;0) I only have one bike and it's a mountain bike that I use with slick tyres when I want to use it on road. It's really not ideal. The geometry is very much set up for off road and it works well there. On road it's pretty compromised and pisses me off on long rides.

What do you want, a Land Rover or a sports car?

I'm just pointing out that if he sets the bike up so that it rides nicely on the road it will probably be all wrong off-road.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Thanks Redbike and i know exactly what you mean after todays commute.

I took the GT out today (30 mile road cycle) after falling in love with its comfortable ride over a 4 hour off road ride on saturday. By the end off the commute i couldnt wait to get off the bike!

Never the less, ill take my other MTB out tomorrow for the commute and give that a go. On the plus side the fixie may be up and running before the end of the week, so im happy.

Top Bottom