Help with the Sun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clyde

Picked this frame up and trying in vain to find out what name and year it is.
Might resto it as it looks quite nice.
Sun 5 speed. Cant see a number on the BB or rear drop out or seat tube.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Check the top left hand-side of the bottom bracket for a number. There's something there, but unable to make it out.

classic33

Leg End Member
Left rear dropout, there'll be a number. Format 1 / 2 3 4 5
Bottom Bracket, one maybe two letters(in the centre)
Headtube lugs, check for any numbers on the rear of them. The top one may refer to the headtube angle, the lower, the chainstay length

Worksop badge is post 1963 though

Sun Racer

Last edited:
This Sun frame of yours shares quite a few features with my Sun (year and model still unknown) , although my frame doesn't have that little loop, at the top of the backstays near where they join the seat post. That 'little loop' is very similar (if not the same) as the ones fitted to early 60's Carltons. I will be watching with interest to see if you can find the year that yours was made ! Cheers and good hunting.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
This is a later 60s/early 70s model, obviously Carlton built, most probably Truwel or EUUT tubing, Id hazard a guess and say it was a Snipe. The frame number will probably be just digits and this normally signifies (like Carlton) the period around 1968-72. It does get confusing though. Identifying dates/numbering is an eternal bugbear of mine when dealing with Sun or Carlton for that matter.

OP
OP
C

clyde

X under the bottom bracket. Would have had chequered decals on the seat tube.
Found the rear drop out number caked in crap.
Seems strange to have Sun on both top and bottom tubes with no place left for a name....
IMG_20170226_151826.jpg
IMG_20170226_153139.jpg
IMG_20170226_153118.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Sun and not Carlton then, given the X on the underside of the bottom bracket.

Chances are despite the badge showing Worksop, it was made in Birmingham.

OP
OP
C

clyde

Yes never thought it was a Carlton, although made in the same factory. Interesting that you think its Birmingham despite the badge, what makes you say that.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes never thought it was a Carlton, although made in the same factory. Interesting that you think its Birmingham despite the badge, what makes you say that.
The "X" on the bottom bracket, and the Worksop badge. Roundabout the time they were moving production.
I think @Spokesmann has had a Snipe Prestige

Spokesmann

The san serif lettering points to later in the 60s into the 70s. Up until then a Script font was used. As said could well be a Snip or Snipe Plus...

Spokesmann

Snipe plus c1965/66
P9246585_zpsva3mjjqp.jpg

Chris Barber 10, c1968
P9246586_zpsmud3w0zy.jpg

Look at lettering on down tube.

I have this badged as a Snipe Prestige, it is in fact a Mass Start 100, from earlir c1962
P9246587_zpsczlt1qex.jpg

Similar details with about 6-7 years between them.

OP
OP
C

clyde

Yeah lugs look like those on the green one. Im going to.let it go anyway. Measured it today and its a 22.5 (centre of bb to top of top tube). Too small for me. Anyone interested.

Top Bottom