HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CallumMcL

Hey guys,

Here's the dilema, a few years back now i bought a fairly average road bike from halfords... The frame is relatively heavy, and the wheels aren't great, I don't have the money to buy a whole new bike but with a 100mile race coming up I'd like to atleast improve one aspect of it, so should it be a new frame or a new set of wheels/tyres? I have around 100 for wheels, i might stretch further than that for a decent frame. Any suggestions and recommendations on what/where to get these would be AMAZING!

Thanks for any responses!
Callum :smile:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Since you did not say what bike and wheels/tyres you have and their condition, any suggestion will be speculative.

Chance though is that it will be less of a dilemma than you might think. To switch frame, unless they have the same head tube diameter/length, headset type, seat tube diameter, seatpost size requirement, chainstay length, bottom bracket shell width and rear dropout spacing etc., you could end up needing new components. Further, unless you have a fair amount of experience in bike set up and maintenance, you are unlikely to have all the tools required, which will also eat into your budget.

Lightish road bike frames are available for under £100 new, but it is impossible to tell whether the final product will be a meaningful improvement compared to what you have, and at what cost in time and money.

To avoid giving you poor advice, more info as mentioned above will be helpful.

amaferanga

Veteran
£50 will get you a good set of tyres such as Michelin pro 3 race. Unfortunately a budget of £100 won't get you a good set of wheels and tyres.

When you say race do you really mean a sportive?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
The bike weight is about normal for an aluminium bike of that sort of price range, the easiest thing to improve is the tyres, then do some basic maintenance, clean and lube the chain and derailleur sprockets, make sure the shifters work as well as they can. Do you use straps or a clipless pedal system, I wouldn't dream of cycling 100 miles in a race or sportive with flat pedals.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I agree with what Mikey said. You will be lucky to find any meaningful weight saving replacing your frame with another alloy road frame. Whether tyre replacement will make any improvement will also be dependent on what you have at present, and what pressure you apply.

At speed aerodynamics has far more impact than weight or inertia - tight-fit clothings and a more streamlined posture will help as long as comfort is not impaired over such distance.

OP
OP
C

CallumMcL

Yeah, its a very average bike, good value considering i haggled it down to 220ish... Just feel the need to upgrade it in some way! Like getting a new car, you just want to tweak it in some way to improve it, an suggestions, doesn't even have to be wheels or frame, seats etc.?

Thanks for all the replies, i've taken them on board.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's actually not a bad bike. I remember looking/pawing one in Halfords.

A bike costing twice that could weigh the same.

I have the 2008 model and the one thing i would change is the wheels as they are heavier than the ones on the virtuosso.

zexel

Veteran
Yeah, its a very average bike, good value considering i haggled it down to 220ish... Just feel the need to upgrade it in some way! Like getting a new car, you just want to tweak it in some way to improve it, an suggestions, doesn't even have to be wheels or frame, seats etc.?

Thanks for all the replies, i've taken them on board.

I know exactly what you mean. :thumbsup:

How about some Shimano RS10's. Good reviews on Chain Reaction. Probably your most 'bang for buck' upgrade I reckon, considering the wheels you have on there now.

Actually, it'd be interesting to know how much your existing wheels weigh.

Top Bottom