Helping out next door.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Right being the sort of bloke that likes helping people.I was talking to my next door neighbour yesterday.He is putting down a slab base for a greenhouse.Well first thing he said was that he was going to hire a skip.Why i asked when you could put the grass turf over the road.We all own a small part of a wood.Oh good idea he replies.So he explains what he is going to do.So i said don't bother taking turf over road.Make your raised bed,lay the turf upside down inside it.Let it rot top with compost and better soil.That sorted.So then it's about laying slabs.On a bed of sand,harder than it looks getting a level.So i am going to help 54 slabs 2ft x 2ft.And going to lay them on mortar.So much quicker.Found out the ratio off google about 6 x 1.But a question is it better to lay the mortar on soil covered with weed matting or try to get him to put a sort of stone foundation down first.A greenhouse is not heavy and will not get a lot of footfall.If you know what i mean.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How good is your professional indemnity insurance?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Best to lay slabs on a dry mix (same ratio 6:1). The dry mix slowly absorbs moisture from the ground and sets much harder and stronger. Also it's easier to reposition slabs if they're not properly laid. Need a bed about 2-3 inches deep and it'll last forever.

Top Bottom