Hesitant down shift rear mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
On my Shimano rear mech, the downshift every so often has become hesitant to go to smaller cog.
I have adjusted at the barrel adjuster 1/8th clicks ..made about 7 or 8 clicks clockwise.
I dont want to go click any further and I cant really tell if it has made that much difference.
Any comments?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
A sticking gear cable or rear mech. Release the cable from the mech, lubricate it and clean and lube the mech. Re-assemble and Bob's probably your auntie:biggrin:

I stripped my rear cable and lubed it last evening because my changing was sounding rough. Non-indexed downtube shifters, so not much to adjust there. Done the screw adjustment thing on the actual rear mech, but I'm beginning to think the bottom jockey hanger (serviced 2 months ago) is a bit out of true. Come the weekend, I think it's chain off and gentle realignment time...

Globalti

Legendary Member
How many times do I have to post this?

Change the cable outer at the rear derailleur. Make it a little longer if you've got enough inner; you'll be amazed at the improvement. They wear out and need replacing every 6 months IMO.

Top Bottom