Hey.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonah

Regular
Hi all,

I'm Stu, 36 from Hornchurch (East London/Essex border), I know a couple of members on this board (I'll let them admit to it if they want ;) ) from another non-cycling site I frequent.

I'm primarily a commuter, 32 miles daily between Hornchurch and Southwark using the A118/A11/CS2. I started commuting about 4 years ago now as just a fair weather, but for the last 2 years it's been everyday except for Snow and broken things like spokes, wheels, crank arms, ribs and more recently back (okay not and actual broken back - just an SI joint problem).

I currently ride a Scott S30 Speedster, which was originally the flatbar version but I converted it to drops last year. I started to commute to get myself away from the those damn train/tubes, I found myself constantly thinking "what the hell am I doing, paying for this crap service only to have to put up with these delays and packed trains" So now, instead of paying for that I find myself laying out money for the good things in life - tyres, cassettes, chains, GT85 and copious amounts of Vaseline.

Like all cyclists, I've had my fair share of accidents and near misses - mostly from peds walking into the road without looking as they do but they just become a daily occurrence and I've learnt that you just have to be ready for it. This mornings near miss was actually caused by a Boris biker, a women in a business suit, reading her blackberry as she veers out of the cycle lane just as I'm overtaking her. :angry:

I keep promising myself I'll get out for longer rides at the weekend, but my legs keep telling me no so I haven't managed it yet.

So there you have it - Hi, and if you're still with me, thanks. :biggrin:

Jonah.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Hello darling! Nice to see you've joined up. :biggrin:

We've had a couple of rides out your way recently. The Friday Night Ride to the Coast : Southend and a ride I organised out to Maldon for fish n chips. The Maldon ride was enjoyed by all and should be being run again during a summer weekend.

All the best,

Abs

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Welcome to CycleChat, Jonah! :welcome:

Yep, HaloJ and I are the two who know Jonah from another non-cycling site. I wonder if we'll hear stories on here like we heard on the other site about finding broken stuff on the lounge floor the night after a few drinks. ;)

If you fancy some cycling beyond your daily commute, there's plenty of action around here. There's the Sunday London Ride which is on, er, Sundays, starting at Hyde Park Corner at 9.30am - a pleasant leisurely ride that involves stopping for coffee and cakes on the way. There's the Friday Night rides that HaloJ mentioned, plus she's been organising monthly 100+ mile rides, the next one in April is around the Olympic Road Race route.

BTW, do note my post count on here, it's a lot lower than on the other site. :tongue:

OP
OP
Jonah

Jonah

Regular
Hello you two.

100 miles - in one day - at the weekend - you must think I'm ment....... oh okay then... :laugh:

I might have to build myself up to that sort of distance though, I'll keep an eye out for rides out round my way.

Martok said:
I wonder if we'll hear stories on here like we heard on the other site about finding broken stuff on the lounge floor the night after a few drinks.

Hahahaha, they were the days. Could you imagine the mess trying to fix a bike while plastered, it was bad enough when I attempted to put new pedals on my old CB Levante at 2am a few years back.

Martok said:
BTW, do note my post count on here, it's a lot lower than on the other site.

I did notice that, it must be your age (or someone is keeping you busy.) ;)

Toeclip

Guru
Hi Stu, Hornchuch? Did you know that the Havering CTC group meet every Sunday morning at 9am outside the Roomes store, Upminster for easy and long rides. More details can be found at www.essexcycling.co.uk Also there is a group called the Sunset Cycling Crew that meet on the 1st Sunday of the month at 10am outside Gidea Park, Rail Station. They have a page on Face book.

Top Bottom