Hi all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty wooster

I have been out of the saddle for approx 15 years and I have decided to return to cycling to work for fitness purposes. I am 39 years old and the journey is 17 miles each way.
I was wondering if any body else has dome something similar and how they got on.
Also any tips or advise would be gratefull

Cheers all

Steve

Maz

Guru
Hello and welcome,
Have you already bought a bike or is that the sort of advice you were after?
Will your commute be all on roads?

domtyler

Über Member
Seventeen miles? That's is a long way to cycle twice a day, every day.
Doable, but you will need to work up to it if you are pretty unfit at the moment.

For that distance you need a half decent road bike at the least.

OP
OP
B

berty wooster

S few (15) years ago i used to cycle 20 miles a day which I loved doing so once I've done it once and the fitness level improves I hope I can whittle the time down.
I have an mtb at the mo - It is a Trek aluminium 7000 - with front shocks . its been modded over the years - I bought it new in 1993.
I was looking to hear from people who have done something similar to see how they got on.
If i do it and stick to it I may invest in a new bike.

cheers

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We'll certainly don't try it every day at first - build up to it.

I used to do 40 miles a day in my youth (return trip) and certainly felt it after the fourth day, so I would usually do a maximum of 4 days, that coupled with racing saturday/sunday was more than enough.

I do anything from 18-30 miles a day now, depending upon which route I take, time constraints etc.

Do take the odd day off to recover. A road bike is much better siuted to that distance. I used to use my MTB for the 40 miler in winter, but it was hard !

gavintc

Guru
I propose that you will lose motivation quite quickly if you go straight into a 34 miles a day regime. You need to build up and get some miles in. I would suggest taking the car with the bike in the back and cycle / drive on alternate journeys until you are happy with the distance. I also think you need to consider a decent bike with narrower tyres - a hybrid or road bike rather than a MTB (sic).

Top Bottom