Hi, Another Newbie .. Trying To Get Fit !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cubby

Über Member
Hi
Been registered a couple of weeks and find this a great site,

Just got myself a bike about 4 weeks ago to help lose weight and get fitter ..
The bike is nothing special, 21 speed hybrid/tourer style (i think) a Helium Crosstrack if that means anything to you ...

Here go's ....

1st of January i weighed 19 1/2 stone at 5' 7" so i thought it was time to do some thing about it ... so i went on a diet and cut out the drinking,
My diet goes some thing like this ....
Brekkie (7.45am) - Bowl of Special K with red berries
Break (10am) - Cereal bar or 2 pieces of fruit
Lunch (12.30pm) - Tuna, with pasta, or on ryvita's, or a plain omelette
Tea (6.00pm) - Chicken with veg, or home made chicken curry.

I'm now down at 15st 12lbs ...
Since cycling (4 weeks) i have steadily progressed, i started doing about 10 miles on an evening about 4 times a week ...
Started increasing the miles slowley, just done a 17 1/2 mile ride yesterday and it feels good ...

What i'm after is, is my diet ok for what i'm doing ... and also should i be doing more miles by now ? the routes i take are quite hilly for about half the ride, then the other half on the canal bank ..

Thanks in advance for any help ....

Cubby

Keith Oates

Janner
HI Cubby, and welcome to the forum as a poster. To lose the weight you have already achieved through a sensible diet is a good achievment, so I would say keep at it if you are feeling comfortable within yourself. Doing the cycling 4 times a week is also good and if your body and legs feel OK then slowly increasing the distance and number of rides can only be good and will eventually help also with the weight reduction. From what little I know and have experienced, a progressive increase is the way to go, so keep at it and let us know how you are getting on from time to time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Welcome Cubby. Keith Oates has said it all really. Slow and steady is the way to go. Ensure that you don't push yourself to a point where you don't enjoy cycling. Congratulations on the tremendous weight loss as well - do expect it to plateau though at a certain point.

Hi and welcome.

I have lost about one and a half stone since last year just by cycling more and eating a good diet.

All I would say on your eating habits is that you have done the classic diet thing of cutting down on your carbs (bread, pasta, rice, spuds) these are NOT "fattening" foods**. The only fattening foods are sugars and fat. All the rest is good.

I find that if I eat a good meal that fills me up then I will not eat "bad" stuff inbetween meals.

If you do not eat from 6pm until bed time do you get hungry? If so then my worry would be that you are suffering for your diet so will not stick to it over time. A change in eating is really something to do for life not just for a few months.

** Take bread for example. First thing people cut out. Now just for fun imagine you can only eat plain bread. How many slices would you eat in a day?
Two for breakfast, one mid morning, three for lunch, five for main meal and one for supper. That is 12 slices in a day. Most bread is about 100 cals per slice so that is only 1200 cals a day+ starvation diet!

So what I am saying is no need to suffer and go hungry. If you are happy in what you eat you stick to it. I just concetrate on avoiding fat and sugar. this is mostly done by avoiding ready made food and going for proper food.

Keep it up and well done on the first step.

domtyler

Über Member
It's not rocket science and it seems as though you have a firm grasp of what you need to be doing anyway. So, just keep doing it and just cycle more.

OP
OP
cubby

cubby

Über Member
Well thanks everyone for the positive replies .... its good to hear i seem to be doing everything right ... lol

Went out again on Sunday for an 18 mile ride and i seem to be over the initial aches and pains .. Eg, Bum and lower back ... legs still go a bit funny tho .

As of tomorrow i'm in Salou for a week, so i hope i dont suffer too much when i get back from not riding ..

any way i'll leave it at that for now, and pop back on after the hols ...

and once again, thanks for the replies .

q292u

Hi Cubby, looks like I'm in the same boat as you, just restarting cycling to lose some weight..
You mentioned that you have a "Helium Crosstrack". I've just seen one (second-hand) locally for about £40.. are they any good, for a 5'8" bloke?
Thanks in advance..

Top Bottom