Hi Everyone !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bella

Hi another newbie here!!

I am a real novice cyclist, I bought a Giant hybrid last year, just getting used to that for short fitness runs, then had a bright idea to buy a Giant Defy through the Cycle to Work scheme. Its still in the garage, along with my confidence unfortunately. I bought it at the wrong time of year as I am very much a fair weather cyclist at the moment, but I am trying to change that! My partner has a Giant TCR, and would love to be confident enough to join him on some rides.

How come I felt ok on the turbo in the shop but when I got home I felt very vulnerable - and very high up??

I am hoping that this forum will give me some encouragement and tips - please!!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hi Bella and a warm welcome to CC.

I assume your hybrid has flat or riser bars. When you first change to drops, you will feel disorientated for a while, maybe even a bit wobbly, especially when looking behind or moving had positions. This quite normal and we all go through it. The key is practice, practice and a bit more practice. I don't suggest you go out on it in foul weather, but wait until it is dry and ice free then go out.

You will eventually wonder why you had any reservations. Best of luck.

OP
OP
B

bella

Thanks Gerry. Yes my original Giant had flat handlebars - my first ever bike at the age of 36!!

I live in Shropshire and we have some beautiful countryside here, so want to explore more of it on two wheels and get fitter at the same time.

Top Bottom