Hi from Ankara

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ankaradan

Hi,

I've been living in Turkey for a few years now, and get a bit homesick (just a teeny bit, I love the continual sunshine here), so I thought it would be a great idea to spend a month next summer on a cycling holiday in the UK. I'm aiming to cycle LEJOG, if I can get fit enough, taking the opportunity to visit as many old friends and relatives as possible.

Pete

Hi and a big welcome. :welcome:

how are the riots at the moment? A friend has posted some pictures from Ankara, police, tear gas etc.
I was over in turkey back at the beggining of this year, made it into the news, but not in a great way:blush: when a dog terminated our world tour. Missing the chai though- can't get anything like it over here, or the grape molasses to mix with tahini.
Quick question? Continual sunshire? take it you have forgotten Janurary & February of this year? (this being in jest you understand)
and how do you think you won't be fit enough for the UK with all those mountains and steep climbs around you?
It will be the weather that will get to you...

Anyhow - I live on one of the main LEJOG/JOGLE routes are you are more than welcome to say hello should I still be around.

OP
OP
ankaradan

ankaradan

Hi and a big welcome. :welcome:

how are the riots at the moment? A friend has posted some pictures from Ankara, police, tear gas etc.
I was over in turkey back at the beggining of this year, made it into the news, but not in a great way:blush: when a dog terminated our world tour. Missing the chai though- can't get anything like it over here, or the grape molasses to mix with tahini.
Quick question? Continual sunshire? take it you have forgotten Janurary & February of this year? (this being in jest you understand)
and how do you think you won't be fit enough for the UK with all those mountains and steep climbs around you?
It will be the weather that will get to you...

Anyhow - I live on one of the main LEJOG/JOGLE routes are you are more than welcome to say hello hould I still be around.

Thanks for the offer but I intend to go through Derbyshire bYorkshire to visit friends. January and February were bloody cold, yes, but generally still bright sunshine. I don't get out cycling as much as I should here, wild dogs being one reason, they seem to dislike cyclists whereas they will ignore you walking. I take it you got attacked by one?

By the way, these weren't riots..just a peaceful demonstration in support of the secular republic as founded by Ataturk, which was banned by the present Islamist government.

Thanks for the offer but I intend to go through Derbyshire bYorkshire to visit friends. January and February were bloody cold, yes, but generally still bright sunshine. I don't get out cycling as much as I should here, wild dogs being one reason, they seem to dislike cyclists whereas they will ignore you walking. I take it you got attacked by one?

By the way, these weren't riots..just a peaceful demonstration in support of the secular republic as founded by Ataturk, which was banned by the present Islamist government.

that makes more sense wrt riots - we were relying on an online translator so it was a touch confusing. We have a friend in Ankara made as a result of our extended stay in the area he was working in.

yep we were cycling through Turkey in February - tad cold but sunny as you say. we were in the mountains around Denizli & Dinar on route to Konya and were attacked by a pack of 5 dogs. didn't make it out without a redesigned leg.
Better get some practice in on the hills & mountains if you plan on Derbyshire & Yorkshire. I grew up in the Pennies and there are some pretty nasty inclines around there, nothing like as long as the Turkish climbs, but the gradients are crueler!

anyhow - best wishes and welcome.

Top Bottom