Hi from Cumbria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi everyone. I've been browsing this site for a few weeks now so I thought I'd better sign up and show myself :becool:

I've never really been into bikesbut earlier this year I was diagnosed with hypertension (high bp) and so I decided it was time to do something about my fitness.

Not knowing much about bikes I wandered into Decathlon and got myself a rockrider 5.1, with the reasonong being that I was 19st+ and a mountain bike could probably handle it better.

I've started to do the 10k commute to work and although some of the hills around here are killers, I'm really enjoying it. The awareness of the countryside I used to just drive through at full speed is amazing - this has to be the best way to tour.

Anyway this forum has been great for advice, and there are some great opinions on here. I look forward to joining in with the debates, especially when I have a bit more knowledge under my belt.

I'll probably be looking for some advice in the spring when my employers C2W scheme kicks back in on new bikes,and also touring as I've signed up for a trip along the Hadrian's Cycleway in June.

HI EVERYONE ;)

snorri

Legendary Member
Hi mcshroom:smile: Welcome aboard, 10K is a very respectable distance to commute, and with hills too:ohmy::smile:
Keep up the effort.;)

kettle

hi
from the Kingdom of Fife.
Got back to cyhcling myself last year.
Weight and health like yourself but 53 years of age.
Got a Dawes Horizon through the bike to work scheme.
Must be the best scheme going for anything.
Worked away and managed the Gl;asgow

kettle

(hit the post too soon)
cont.

Glasgow to Edinburgh 51 miles after the summer.
I find the bike great bujt the have increased the spec ans price.
If the scheme is open to you then a new touring bike is a must. There is no point in going second hane as you will get new for the same money.

I do not have a great average sped but see lots and am able to smellthe flowers.

I did joing the CYC but find it difficult to match well with the pace of others either I am too slow or - but not often - too slow.
I have just been daily and local but hope to get on with things greater this year.
all the best with ykiur venture

bauldbairn

kettle said:
hi
from the Kingdom of Fife.
Got back to cyhcling myself last year.
Weight and health like yourself but 53 years of age.
Got a Dawes Horizon through the bike to work scheme.
Must be the best scheme going for anything.
Worked away and managed the Gl;asgow

Welcome to the CC Forum Kettle - maybe you should post your location on the side of your personal details.
Jane Smart, Scots Lass + several others regularilly invite people from your side of the Forth(the darkside :tongue:) to meets / cycles.
This would encourage your fitness if you struggle for self motivation. :rolleyes:

rh100

welcome

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome.

Kettle I just had a look at that bike and it looks good. I have a little time to wait before I can get my ride to work bike as my employer only does this in campaigns, usually around May time. I will definitely be looking for a tourer or sturdy hybrid by then though.

Top Bottom