Hi from Milton Keynes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCCD

Über Member
Hi,

I'll be taking up cycling again as the weather and daylight gets better.
I haven't been on a bike for probably 10 years now, however I did do a bit of cycling when I was much younger.

I've still got my first serious bike gathering dust in my garage, a 12 speed Barry Hoban. I've also bought a Chas Roberts frame and slowly putting together with as good spec as my budget allows. I treated myself at Xmas to a brand new Scott CR1 and will be using this to some longer charity cycles etc.

The Chas Roberts will serve two purposes for me, firstly to get into learning about maintenance and building so I can look after the Scott and also as my main commuter when I start to cycle to work and do some short lunchtime 5 - 8 mile sessions.

It will take me a while to get up to speed as I'm very unfit, but hopefully by July/Aug I'll be doing around 40-50 mile trips and pushing on to 80 miles next year. That's the grand plan anyway, so will see how it goes.

I'm based in Milton Keynes, so if anyone is local and fancies some slow short rides starting in April/May, your welcome to join me in my slog to cycle fitness!

Cheers,
Andy

rusky

CC Addict
:welcome:

There's lots of info on here regarding maintenance.

Don't worry about the fitness, do a few 5-10 mile rides a week if you can & you'll soon get fit!

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Is this what cycling in MK is all about?

Attachments

• 4541410486_7bb5a13cfa.jpg
    4541410486_7bb5a13cfa.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
D

DCCD

Über Member
Is this what cycling in MK is all about?

LOL!

Add in a few roundabouts and your there!

Actually, on the plus side there is quite a good red way system here dedicated to cyclist/walkers so there is no need to go on public roads.
That is quite handy for getting around the town.

OP
OP
D

DCCD

Über Member
:welcome:

There's lots of info on here regarding maintenance.

Don't worry about the fitness, do a few 5-10 mile rides a week if you can & you'll soon get fit!

Thanks!

Hope your right about the 5-10 milers....I'm hoping to supplement those with a longer ride on a Sat/Sun increasing each time I go out.

The first to do is work out some routes that are not too hilly or busy with traffic.

Hello DC

i am in MK, good to see someone else local.

i find the best thing to do is get to the edge of Mk using the redways and then get out onto the surrounding minor roads, not usually that much traffic as long as its not peak periods when everyone is trying to get in/out.

my routes take me mainly out to the north, haversahm, hanslope then onto northampton and round the edge at that sort of circumference. some nice rides and reasonably good hills to try out.

good luck with the fitness regime.

UPS

OP
OP
D

DCCD

Über Member
Hello DC

i am in MK, good to see someone else local.

i find the best thing to do is get to the edge of Mk using the redways and then get out onto the surrounding minor roads, not usually that much traffic as long as its not peak periods when everyone is trying to get in/out.

my routes take me mainly out to the north, haversahm, hanslope then onto northampton and round the edge at that sort of circumference. some nice rides and reasonably good hills to try out.

good luck with the fitness regime.

UPS

Hi,

Yes, good to hear a voice from MK!

I'm on the west side, those routes you mention , will be checking them out and thats a good tip re the redways.

Once I get some sort of respectable fitness, I'd probably be looking to join a local club if there are any as I think its marginally safer in a group.

May catch up with on the road some time.

cheers,
Andy

Try looking up TeamMK or Northbucks cycling club, although i know that the guys from Chaineys cycles go out on a thursday - or used to.

most cyclists round here will say hello or join you along the way a little.

might see you out and about

good luck.

Top Bottom