Hi From Northern Thailand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Durian

Über Member
Hello everybody. I found this site several weeks ago and really enjoyed reading all the different topics and so decided to sign up and join in the conversations.
I spent most of my life living and working in North Kent/South East London before heading to the sun in the Meditteranean, got bored there so left and moved to Devon for a few years. Now I'm living in Chiang Mai in the North of Thailand which is a wonderful place to live and to cycle. There are some fabulous roads for road bikes and as Chiang Mai is surrounded by mountains there are also great opportunities for Mountain biking. I've owned a Merida mountain bike for four years and that has been well used and abused, recently I bought a Trek road bike and it's probably the best investment I've made, I love it!
That's about it, and I look forward to discussing all things cycling.

colly

Re member eR
Hi welcome along,:hello:

OP
OP
Durian

Durian

Über Member
Thanks for the welcome guys. Sorry ttcycle, no deal in changing places, I've actually found a place I love to live at and wouldn't want to swap.

As for smelling like a Durian, the answer is thankfully, no I don't!

McrJ64

Tell me more. I visit Thailand every few years with my family. My wife is from Khon Kaen. I have always been wondering if there is any decent cycling up north. Having seen the drivers and traffic, I wouldn't really fancy road cycling, which is what I do but off road may be safe. Last time I looked at websites though, the pictures of the bikes didn't impress. Do you know of a reputable cycle hire business?

OP
OP
Durian

Durian

Über Member
Tell me more. I visit Thailand every few years with my family. My wife is from Khon Kaen. I have always been wondering if there is any decent cycling up north. Having seen the drivers and traffic, I wouldn't really fancy road cycling, which is what I do but off road may be safe. Last time I looked at websites though, the pictures of the bikes didn't impress. Do you know of a reputable cycle hire business?

The cycling around here really is excellent, the roads are mostly smooth and the main roads are wide enough to avoid the traffic, as you may know there are lanes set aside for motorbikes so you can use them and keep your distance from the cars and lorries. The traffic outside the city is not too bad and you can soon be on to the side roads where very few cars go, you will then find yourself passing through traditional Thai villages and rice paddies. The only things that can annoy you are the stray dogs and the occasional chicken crossing the road!

Chiang Mai have a few cycle clubs but at the moment I'm not a member of any of them, trying to get a bit fitter on the road bike before joining up with them. I have read about someone at one of the clubs who rents out decent road bikes but haven't seen them for myself. I've never seen any road bikes for rent in the city but MTB's are available.

Next time you're over I would recommend you getting up here and trying the area out for yourself, after all Issan is not that far away and you're pretty much guaranteed some great cycling. I will try to find more information for you about renting road bikes and post the results on here.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Hi Durian, I'm living and cycling in Bangkok

The traffic in Bangkok can best be described as a 'chaotic ballet' and you have to learn how to dance! The main thing that you have to get your head around is that traffic entering the main road has priority over trafiic already on the main road and drivers do pull out onto the main road with looking to their right. Undertaking is the norm, especially for motorcycles so keep your wits about you. Contra-flow traffic? Again mormal. For some road cycling videos check out 'Khun Hippo' on this site.
I know nothing about cycle hire but a quick google throws up Nong Prajak bike hire and you can ask on this forum

McrJ64

Thanks everyone for the links. I used to live over there but never saw a road bike in all that time. The roads are possibly in worse condition that ours. It doesn't look like we'll be going over this summer but I will certainly be looking up those links again before we do go.

Welcome, spent 3 months in Chiang mai what a wonderful place you live, I'm envious. Have you tried a ride up to Doi Suthep yet? Did it on a scooter but I guess that's cheating!

OP
OP
Durian

Durian

Über Member
No, haven't made it up to Doi Suthep yet but think I will make it next time I attempt it during the next cold season, October to February time. Much too hot to attempt it at the moment although some of the fitter riders here seem to get up there without too many problems! Looking forward to when I do make it to the top especially for the descent, better check the brakes are working well before that though!

No, haven't made it up to Doi Suthep yet but think I will make it next time I attempt it during the next cold season, October to February time. Much too hot to attempt it at the moment although some of the fitter riders here seem to get up there without too many problems! Looking forward to when I do make it to the top especially for the descent, better check the brakes are working well before that though!

Good luck. I envy you for having the opportunity to try!

Top Bottom