Hi from Whitstable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Huff & Puff

Hi , i stumbled on this site a few months ago, and have learned alot from all your experiences and tips.
I'm fast approachimg 60, had Cancer 3 years ago and it's only now that my general fitness has returned to normal..... now i want to improve it.
Last had a bike in my teens, proper racer of it's day and i went everywhere on it.... had a Brooks leather sadle that was oh so comfy ( to my young arse anyway)..... had that bike until i got married and since then it's been cars all the way.
About 6 years ago my Wife and i decided to keep fit by cycling, so without thinking or planning we bought two 'Moutain' bikes from Tesco's !.... a really bad move as the bikes as bought were absolute rubbish. We perciveered untill i was taken ill , but we had suffered from cheap badly set up bikes. My fault and i did know better :cursing: .but they were cheap!
Anyway, i recently pulled them out of the garage, cleaned off the years of dirt and dust and set to fettling !!
The axles were dry except for a thin black oil, the headsets were dry and loose and the brakes and gears all needed stripping,cleaning and resetting.... seat heights/position adjusted, new thinner slicks were fitted..... alll info gleaned from these Forums.
I'd like to say we now have first rate bikes, but i'd be lying... but we do at least have bikes we can ride a bit easier and safer.
If we decide to continue to cycle we will upgrade, and this time we will have a better idea of what we need. To start the ball rolling i cycled around 8 miles this afternoon, and returned without aches , pains cramps or numbness from anypart of my anatomy :wahhey:
A small but very important milestone for us both....
I expect i will have many questions , but i'm sure that if they haven't been asked before someone on hear will have the answer for me.

Dave:rolleyes:

Octet

Veteran
Any bike with moving wheels shall do (brakes optional) :tongue:

Welcome to the forums!

Top Bottom