Hi guys :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shredder1uk

Well where do I start. After weighing myself in november and realising i was just shy of 24 stone i decided to loose weight. Hit a very low calorie diet and now i am 17 stone 12. Decded it was time to start getting back in to bikes and I am looking for a bike that will hold my weight ok and be comfortable but not mega expensive. So what sort of thing am I looking for hybrid road mountain bike it's all new to me i have no idea :smile:

dave_79

hi shredder,

Can't give you advice as i'm new too but just wanted to say well done :thumbsup: on the weight loss. I lost some recently and know what a battle it can be to get it off and then keep it off, you've done really well to get that off just since Nov. Oh, and :welcome:

OP
OP
S

shredder1uk

Thanks Dave. To be fair if i stuck to the diet 100% i could have lost more but I had xmas of and another week when i was on holiday from work. Picked up an old mountain bike earlier and rode the 5 mile home to say I am feeling it is an understatment lol. Just want a bike that will not fold up on me after a while :smile:

valetillidye

Hi Fella,

I'm no expert and still consider myself a newbie to this biking lark but imo you cant go wrong with a hybrid to start of with, you can combine the "comfy-ness" of a mountain bike with a little bit more speed if you get one with a set of road wheels

Thelma

Wow well done Shredder!

At a guess, if you want a bike to do everything, then it's not going to do anything particularly well. I've got a hybrid (only a couple of weeks old) which is a road/tow path/cycle path type jobbie. I bought it in Decathlon for £180 and am very happy so far.

Mountain bikes tend to be (need to be?) heavy. You want as light a bike as you can afford on the road because if it's heavy it'll put you off for life.

What's your budget?

I'm really no expert and am new to this too. I can tell you though that riding my bike has made a huge difference to my weight loss!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Weight shouldn't be a problem. There are many heavier and ex heavier cyclists on here.

Just make using your bike part of your regular day. I'm no heavy-weight, but lost 2 inches around the waste changing from 1-2 days a week cycling into work, to 5 days a week. That includes a calorie intake increase too.

biglad

Where are you based Shredder? People might be able to give you tips on good local bike shops in your area. I bought a Saracen Hybrid for just over 200 a week ago, and I'm very happy with it mate. I'm a few stone heavier than you and it holds my weight very nicely.

Nice one on the weight loss mate. I'm hoping to get down into the teens in the future myself. Best of luck with it all fella.

Biglad

OP
OP
S

shredder1uk

Based in Rugby in the west midlands.

Top Bottom