Hi, I'm Tom...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom6873

Hello,
I am looking for a bit of advice.
I recently moved to the coutryside and would like to start doing some road cycling.
I enjoy cycling but confess that I do not know that much about bikes.
I own 2 bikes, in varying states of repair, and I would like to know which bike (if any) would be most suitable for getting out on the road.

The first is a 1991 saracen Limited Edition mountain bike. It was over £300 when I bought it new (which was alot at the time). It has rigid (non suspension) forks. It is in reasonably good condition.

The second bike is a very scruffy (quite rusty in places) 1970/1/2 Claud Butler 5 speed 'racer'. From the small amount of research I have done, it is a Gran Sport model. The only original parts seem to be the Weinmann brake levers, Campag gear selector (deraileur is Shimano), headset / bars, crank and possibly 26" steel wheels with alloy hubs.
I have had this bike since I was 14, and it has not been touched since then. I am now 41..!

I have measured the seat tube which is 22" from middle of bottom brakcet to top of seat tube.. I am nearly 6' tall, so is this bike too small for me anyway?

I am sentimentally drawn to the Claud Butler as I feel that in it's day, it was a decent bike. I am aware that it is now very out of date.

So the question is, is the CB worth the time & money to do up?
Is the Saracen a better option? If so, what do I need to change?
Are neither right for me. Should I sell both and start again?

Look forward to hearing anyones thoughts...!

Tom

I'd say to give the saracen a service and put some slick tyres and mudguards on it. You'll then have a usable 'winter' road bike, if you get into it over the next few months you can think about getting a 'proper' road bike for the summer.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Tom. Welcome to CC.

I suggest that you hire a modern bike (one that you could afford if you decided to buy a new one) and do a decent ride on it, taking in some hills. If it feels much better to ride than your current bikes then perhaps that would tempt you to buy a new one. If you come back from the ride thinking that it didn't feel that much better than your current bikes, then why bother upgrading?

I rode a bike as a child but had it stolen from the school bike sheds when I was 13 years old. That was the end of my cycling for a considerable period of time.

I eventually treated myself to a new bike in 1989. Technology had improved so much since my earlier bike was manufactured that I was astounded when I got on the bike the first time and rode it back from the railway station.

I think that you will be shocked by how much better a decent modern bike is than your old bikes. There's only one way to find out! :biggrin:

PS That's very good advice from DD - wait until the spring for a new one!

OP
OP
T

Tom6873

Thanks very much...That has answered my question.
Is there a market for old Claud Butler frames? I don't think it is worth the effort trying to restore...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tom6873 said:
Thanks very much...That has answered my question.
Is there a market for old Claud Butler frames? I don't think it is worth the effort trying to restore...
I was about to post that I swapped my old one to someone in Leeds for a pizza. (We met up at lunchtime and he paid the bill.)

I did a search for the pictures of it that he had on his website. Guess what I found...? Sold on eBay for £48.15!

Hey Martin - I reckon you owe me another pizza some time... ROFL - ho ho ho! :biggrin:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hi and welcome to the forums.

I was going suggest ebaying the CB to make a bit of cash to fund repairs to the other bike.You can then use it till you can get another , does your work run the cycle to work scheme? you can save a lot of money on that and spread the cost over a year.

Include the words "fixie /SS project"in the listing as they seem to be the in thing to get a sale ;).

bauldbairn

Hello Tom and Welcome to the CC Forum.

cyberknight

i had a 1980s Raleigh banana bike that was truly on its knees, wheels warped,chain ring bent,gear shifters knackered etc etc and i got £70 for it .I would have liked to do it up but i did not have the cash .

cyberknight

i had a 1980s Raleigh banana bike that was truly on its knees, wheels warped,chain ring bent,gear shifters knackered etc etc and i got £70 for it .I would have liked to do it up but i did not have the cash .

Top Bottom