hi to all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bryony

Veteran
:welcome:

OP
OP
up hill struggle

up hill struggle

ok so been on the phone to the shop, still havnt been able fix the gears on my mtb, now they have noticed problem changing the gears at front aswell as the back.

been told it will be fixed on Monday or i will get a new replacement bike in instead and they will just change over my tyres, lights & bike computer.

im happy either way aslong as it works.

OP
OP
up hill struggle

up hill struggle

picked the bike up on Monday afternoon and checked out my gear change as soon as i got it home. Everything seemed to be working nice & smooth. Daughter was at hospital yesterday for an appointment so didn't get to get out after & had to wait until this morning to get out.

the first 3 miles went without a hitch then got a bit feed up spinning & went for top gear on a nice flat straight piece of tarmac. Wouldn't change to the big gear on the front so bike only half fixed as they did manage to sort the problem with the rear gears.

on the up side i did end up spinning most of the trip & when i had reached my normal turning point i didn't want to go back so kept on going. Stopped at a café and had a coffee and cake for a treat & then heading back to the beginning and the car.

by the time i got back i still wanted to keep going so stopped on the way home for another blast around the town. I ended up doing 13.43 miles which is more than double my longest ride to date. Spent an 1 hour & 23 mins in the saddle max speed 19.6 mph (not sure where or when i managed to hit that).

slightly sore on the legs but feel great about what i managed today its a huge improvement for me. Cant wait to get out tomorrow again.

OP
OP
up hill struggle

up hill struggle

so went back out this morning and managed another 13.77 miles, didn't realise that i was so sore after yesterday but legs were really sore by the 7 mile point & it was about that point that i thought hang on a minute i ain't had breakfast, i was that preoccupation with getting the girls onto the school bus this morning and then trying to get out on the bike that for once food hadn't even popped into my head, i was beginning to struggle but was kinda stuck as i either needed to go back into the last town 1.5 miles back or keep pushing on for 2 more miles for something to eat. Decided to push on as if i went back id have to do it twice to get back to were i was, anyway 2 miles later i arrived in the next village and by the time i reached the shop i was done, no power, no energy. nothing had my last slug of water & headed into the shop.

fresh water and sugar supply & back on the bike to head up to the park for my snack/breakfast 1/2 mile to the park & struggled to make it there seriously only managing a 100 or so meters and stopped then same again, and again and so on. Finally got there & tucked into the grub, lay on the grass for a while until i felt i was recovering then got back on the bike for the last leg of the trip.

one hill & a couple of straights & id be home. 3/4 of a mile along i rounded the bend & the hill awaited me only 300 meters and id be at the top so off i set full of confidence reached the top rounded the bend, strange i don't remember that hill from doing this road in the car, then i struck me i hadn't been up this part of the road for years, i kept climbing & climbing 15 minutes later and near a dozen rest stops i reached the top, now only another 1/2 mile straight then 1/4 mile down hill.

so finally made it home a little sore little tired more lessons learned if i plan a route check it before i set off to make sure there's no unexpected surprises (or with my fitness level) hills, food more important than had first thought both before & snack for the ride just incase.

i believe they refer to it hitting the wall & as embarrassing as it is doing it after only 9-10 miles please bare in mind in still a beginner & trying to build up strength & fitness levels after years of a couch potato and bearing in mind also that compared to every ride i had done until this week was a maximum of 5.7 miles until yesterday and today when ive jumped to 27. Something, i think ive still done really well and still pleased with the progress made. Short run tomorrow though back to 5 -6 miles i think or a rest if im to sore.

lazyness is a hard habbit to brake :laugh:

Top Bottom