Hi Ya from the Wychwoods Oxon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WychwoodTrev

Hi ya Guys and Gals
I am Trev a newbie from milton-U-Wychwood
I have been riding a mountain bike on the road for a couple of yrs but poss only 200miles a year, this year I needed to lose weight as I am Diabetic and was weighing 18 stone so started By dieting and lost some weight then 2 montha ago I decided to get the bike I started with 5 miles a night gradually built it up to 15or 25 miles a night after work, Started to realy get into this cycling lark so last friday I went to Go Outdoors in Swindon and bought a Claude Butler racer/road bike.
My weight is now down to 15.8 which I am well chuffed with
,My av speed on a 15 mile ride is about 16mph in my defence it is quite hilly round here,even so my aim is to get that up to 18/20 maybee as I am new to this I am not sure what to expect.I would like to raise my distance but am not sure how quickly I can raise the milage and what speed to be doing, I would like to find a localish club to ride out with at weekends but feel I might not keep up or will drop out as they seem to do some serious milage at a quick pace. I would like to get up to 100 mile ride at the weekends but that seems a long way away at the mo as I did 35 on sunday and my legs still ache

So if you could answer a couple of questions for me how many miles do you do ?

Do yo have rest days or do you ride every day ?

Do your legs ache after a ride and for how long ?

Any Local freindly clubs ?

Sorry for going on so much hope some of you are still awake

ZIZAG

Veteran
:rolleyes: Hello and Welcome . :biggrin: You are doing very well with your weight loss and being Diabetic .
You are showing good determination and Character .
So you are on your way to getting fit and healthy .
Happy cycling . Very best wishs . :blush: :laugh: :ohmy: :becool: :hello:

I have done 30-40miles cycles
Yes I have lots of rest days .
No my legs dont Ache .
I am not a member of any club . I am a lone old 65 year "Ould Git "Rider :wub:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome and good morning WychwoodTrev.:welcome: I do anywhere between 30-100 on a day out. I do ride most days even if it is only to the shops or to work, and yes, sometimes my legs do ache a bit for a day or so, more so if it has been a hilly ride. Are you anywhere near to the Wychwood Brewery, brewers of the fine Hobgoblin ales?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Abingdon calling!

I'm a 100 miler a day kinda guy (and a fat bastard, so well done you). Joining a club or the CTC is a good thing to do, we've a few round here, but that's no use to you!

Rest days are important, but the more you ride, the easier it gets. The nice thing about a bike is that distance builds easily.
It sounds like you're riding hard. Going further is about pacing yourself and keeping well fuelled from the off. Over 35 miles you need to have been eating from the off, little and often is the rule.

Have short fast rides and longer gentler rides with a pint of milkshake/choco milk as soon as you're done, excellent for recovery.

Most of all, enjoy, don't get obsessed with speed or time, relax on the bike.

mitch

hi im in witney and ride all over oxon from a quick 20 mile joyride to 100 mile killer when the weather is good .i do a sportive every month so if you ever fancy a ride let me know

steve1963

Just a quick well done with the weight loss

edinburgh_col

Regular
So if you could answer a couple of questions for me how many miles do you do ?

Do yo have rest days or do you ride every day ?

Do your legs ache after a ride and for how long ?

Any Local freindly clubs ?

Sorry for going on so much hope some of you are still awake

Hi Trev,

Welcome to the site. I'm fairly new to cycling too, but to answer your questions:

Definitely incorporate rest days, best advice I got when working out my first training programme - you need to allow your body to recover, especially after a longer ride. Yes, legs ache, depends how many miles I did - rather overstretched myself on Friday when I did around 40 miles, furthest I've ever cycled. My legs and my backside :sad: ached for couple of days, so decided not to cycle until tonight (Monday evening) because I knew I'd really pushed myself. Normally I find a day in between rides more than enough. It's important too to keep yourself hydrated and fuelled with the right foods too. As for clubs, I'm North of the border, so can't help with your area but I'm sure there are many people on here who will be able to point you in the right direction!

Keep on cycling! :bicycle:

Colin

mitch

no i mostly ride alone ,know every road around here for miles but do enjoy doing the sportives nowadays mainly local ones so roll on the summer !!

Top Bottom