Hill Climbing and cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill Gates

I am Spartacus said:
It was an experimentation in one style over the other.

I know. But what I'm saying is that it isn't as simple as either /or to be shown as being the most efficient. A better experiment would include a comparison of a combination of the two.

IME this works best, that's all.

jimboalee

I am Spartacus said:
It was a real hill.. not especially steep ... 5% maybe

I did say this was unscientific! :laugh:

Here's another one....If i expended 15 kj on that climb 1 st run
and 20 kj on the 2nd

would my power in watts been higher on 2nd run?

If you expend 12.3456789 kJ on the first trip up, you will expend 12.3456789 kJ on the second ( but only if your mass is exactly the same ).

Garz

Squat Member
..and if you dont exert the same effort on both trips then its not exactly fair.

Best example would be someone who commutes as they repeat the same route and if they had the same conditions over a few rides then they could pick a long hill, ride it grinding/out of saddle one week then spin on saddle the next. With that data you could compare which method suits them best, i.e. most efficient.

jimboalee

Garz said:
..and if you dont exert the same effort on both trips then its not exactly fair.

Best example would be someone who commutes as they repeat the same route and if they had the same conditions over a few rides then they could pick a long hill, ride it grinding/out of saddle one week then spin on saddle the next. With that data you could compare which method suits them best, i.e. most efficient.

CORRECT. :biggrin:

NB. If you find you lose some bodyweight after the first week, make sure you 'handicap' yourself back up to the correct weight before starting the second week.

Do this for several alternate weeks.

It may be pleasing to not only have data of your 'natural cadence' but a chart of your weight loss during the term and see which style shifts the fat fastest.

Top Bottom