Hints and Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bubba8582

Hi All

I am entered into the Vatternrundan in Sweden in June, and im a total novice rider. The Vatternrundan is a 300km ride in one hit. I have started my training but am looking for some hints and tips in what kind of training i should be doing, how long i should be riding for to build up for it etc.

Any hints and tips at all would be very much appreciated, as i really aint got a scooby doo what i should be doing, apart from riding that is!!

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions

Thank you in advance

:thumbsup:

boydj

Legendary Member
You need to start building up time on the bike - gradually, and not pushing too hard - between now and June, with one longer run each week, extending the time of that run until you can handle several hours on the road. Mileage is not too important - it's time on the bike - but you also need to make sure you get enough rest and recovery time as well and make sure you drink plenty, both on and off the bike, and eat plenty of the right food on the longer runs.

You should be able to find training plans on the web in places like BikeRadar. I like the weekly newsletters you get from http://www.roadbikerider.com/ when you subscribe - there's always interesting articles and training hints.

300k is a big ask for a novice - mentally as well as physically. Good luck.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
186 miles!!!

You are going to average at a guess 12mph which means 15 hours in the saddle and with rest stops something like 17-18 hours overall.

Without knowing you I'd say that is a tough task - but best of luck and make sure you have a good seat.

Practice your eating and drinking as well as your riding. With that sort of distance you're going to have to watch hydration and energy levels. Getting into the habit of eating and drinking whilst on the go will help.

Good luck! :welcome:

longers

Legendary Member
If in your shoes I'd want to have ridden a couple of 200's beforehand to be confident in myself and the bike setup.
It is doable without having done that but not for me, you may well be more than capable. I did that sort of thing before attempting my few long rides to get comfy and some confidence. Good luck!

There's plenty of experience in the Road Rides, Audax and Sportive board and you'd be as well asking this question again in there I reckon. At least one CCer has done it in the last couple of years.

Top Bottom