Hiya!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gemfer

Regular
Newbie to cycling and the forum here, thanks for accepting me to the group.

Haven't cycled since I was a teen, hubby and I have decided to purchase a couple big bikes to improve our fitness and actually get us out of the house and away from our desks!

This is proving to be quite expensive with bikes and accessories. So we are only have a budget of £250 to £300 per bike. Considering the Carrera Parva, Subway or Crossfire for new bikes.

Also, going to see some second hand ones today to see what our options are.

We have a 5/10 minute cycle on the roads until we get to cycle paths, but would like to explore off-road but can't see us doing anything too adventurous just yet.

Appreciate thoughts on whether a hybrid is the best option for us or should we consider mountain bikes?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think it doesn't really matter whether you choose a hybrid or a mountain bike. For getting out from behind the desk and exploring cycle paths etc anything will be fine within reason. Just don't spend more than necessary. If you fall in love with the cycling you can always consider something fancier in the future. For now, get something cheap and go out and enjoy yourself. Looking at second hand is a good idea if you know a cyclist who can give it a quick once-over for you to make sure it's mechanically sound

Really, for tootling around and enjoying the fresh air, a £50 second hand bike would be fine providing it's mechanically sound

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Have a look & see if you have a charity nearby that refurbishes second hand bikes. Then you'd know you were getting something road worthy at a relatively low price.

And you won't need lots of accessories when you start out - there's no need for fancy clothes if you're not going far & days are getting lighter so cheaper lights or none at all depending on when you go out.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Welcome.
If buying new and it’s mostly road, cycle paths and tracks you plan to ride then I’d avoid anything with suspension, at your price point a suspension fork will be poor quality anyway. The Subway is well regarded and would be my choice for sure.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

A hybrid would cover most bases for you including a bit of gentle off road and tracks.
The Halfords bikes are fine if a bit unrefined but should suit you well. Try to avoid anything with a suspension fork, it'll just add weight and not do much else at the budget end of the market. I don't think you'll get anything decent for fifty quid, the Covid thing has pushed prices up and new bikes are in short supply, but you might find find something servicable for around £150/200 but try to find bikes that have been bought on a whim and little used if you can. You just need to make sure you get the correct size, ask if you need advice on this.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I would suggest a good do anything bike. There are a lot of good second hand ones out there but inspect well before giving pennies away.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
A hybrid or mtb would be fine. There are very few deals on new bikes at the moment and used ones are commanding a premium so if you want to buy new but don't want to spend too much places like Decathlon or Go Outdoors are good to check out. I got a mtb from ebay for £30 which has been great, but Sphock, Gumtree, and Facebook marketplace are worth checking.

OP
OP
Gemfer

Gemfer

Regular
Thanks for all the advice. We went to see some refurbished second hand bikes in a charity store that send donated bikes to Africa and sell the others.

Had a try and think. But went back again later in the day and we both got mountain Carrera bikes. Hubby got a Vengeance and I got a limited edition Hellcat. I felt so comfortable on it more so than on the new ones in Halfords. In very good condition and we have cover included for 60 days.

Just got to get my head around the gear set up, think mine has 24 gears 🤔

Top Bottom