HMRC.......surely THIS cant be a scam :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
This is my experience too. It is highly unlikely that HRMC will send an email asking for any details at all, I strongly suspect that it's a sam.

I've heard about this on MoneyBox and stuff. HMRC never email about refunds.

They write a letter informing you, and a cheque arrives separately. I've had a few over the years, mainly down to being a student, but paying tax on casual work.

I've had 3 tax refunds in the last couple of years or so; every time HMRC have written to me telling me about it then sent a cheque seperately.

I often get those E-Mail; I simply delete because they're scam.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I received an email from HMRC to say I had over-paid and will be receiving £425 off them. Now (what a surprise) they cannot pay by cheque so I have to give them my bank & credit card details:whistle:.

A girl in our office did just that over the phone ,,,. if that was not bad enough , after 10 mins of us all saying RING THE BANK and freeze your account, she rang them tp freeze it , and then rang them back 10 mins later to ask "can you unfreeze it please so i can go to the cash machine as i need some money to go out tonight "

Cant understand why she was eventualy sacked from her job as assistant credit control for truly not having a clue about money matters...

HovR

Über Member
How do scammers get money from bank details? They appear on cheques anyway.

I don't know myself, but I believe Jeremy Clarkson once published certain bank details in a newspaper column as he believed the same thing. A few days later he found his account had mysteriously made a £500 donation to the charity Diabetes UK. :laugh:

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
100% scam.......HMRC operate a give and take policy.......you give and they take :laugh:

Seriously tho, HMRC never use electronic communication....snail mail only.

Top Bottom